ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#16556 11/13/02 01:00 AM
N
Nick Offline OP
There is a virus hoax floating around that I just got. 30 minuets after sending the info to people in my address book I come to find out is not legit. It got me good even though I knew better. I(t came from an Architect)Here is the text:

TO EVERYONE ONE IN MY ADDRESS BOOK:

A virus has entered my address book. Please follow the following steps to make sure you can cure it. It's easy to do, so please do it ASAP. This virus is not detected by Norton, McAfee, or VET anti-virus systems. It sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It was sent automatically to everyone in my address book, whether or not I have sent emails to them. Here is how to check for the virus and get rid of it.

It would be helpful to print these instructions out, read them first and follow them exactly:

1. Go to Start, then find or search.
2. In the files/ folders option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C drive and any other drives you may have.
4. Click 'find now'.
5. The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN IT!!!!!!!!!!
6. Go to edit, choose 'select all' to highlight file without opening it.
7. Now go to File and select Delete. It will then go into the Recycle Bin.
8. Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well.

IF YOU FIND THIS VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK SO THEY CAN FOLLOW THE ABOVE PROCEDURES.

1. Open a new email message
2. Click on address book next to 'To'
3. Click every name and add to 'BCC'
4. Copy this message and send.
5. Thanks and sorry about this.

here is a link for more info

#16557 11/14/02 09:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Nick,
I got that one a while back. Next time all you have to do is find the file and look at it's properties. I found this file had been there since my computer was new! So I knew it was a hoax. Unfortunatley the friend who sent it to me deleted his. It's always suspicious when they say to empty your recycling bin right away.

#16558 11/17/02 03:38 AM
A
there is a type of virus that when you get it automatically sends itself to everyone in your address book. theres an easy way round this.

1. make an entry in your address book with the name aardvaark,but with no e mail address entered. this will then allways be the first address in the book.

2. if you get the virus then when it tries to send itself the aardvaark address comes up first and throws up an error message of some kind saying that aardvaark doesnt excist. this all happens before anything is sent out.

3. this should send up warning signs cos you know that you havent actually mailed anyone.

it wont stop you accidently getting the virus but it will help to stop spreading it, and of course now you are aware something is dodgy then you can look for it. i think this method may even stop the virus getting to your computer cos ive had e mails from people telling me that they inadvertantly got it and it was sent to everyone in their address book, includeing me, but when i do searches or virus checks, ive never had any thing.

Link Copied to Clipboard