ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Kenbo Offline OP
I realy do not know how they expect this to sell washing machines.

Indisit gone cookoo

I like movie 3 (makes me think of Trumpy)
and movie 6 cos im a wild child at heart blush

der Großvater
does the cuckoo come over to load and fold the clothes too? cool , BTW, there's a "sports" cycle on washing machines over there???

J
the third one is great.

Originally Posted by Kenbo

I like movie 3 (makes me think of Trumpy)

OK Kenny how does that make you think of me?.
I hunt ducks and deer, but how does that work?.

One thing about washing machines, they are never mentioned here in this area, although a LOT of Electricians here in NZ are required to be able to repair them.
When I did my time as an Electrician, it was required that you learn how a modern washing machine works.
I really "lost my rag" one day with a woman whose son came in and was sure that I hadn't fixed the machine properly.
Finally the son did the damage, and using a non-insulated screwdriver burned out the control board.
Washing machines here these days use a 6-phase DC drive, although the water pump is still an AC Shaded Pole motor.
Son had the thing plugged in when he was "working" on it, I told the lady, sorry maam no warranty, tell your son to keep his hands to himself.
The son was oddly enough 32.

K
Kenbo Offline OP
Mike

Now you have got me thinking “6-phase DC motor” Got any photos?
How do you get 6-phases DC? Last time I worked on a DC motor it was in the power station driving the water pumps and they were big xxxxxxxxx

Washing machines here tend to be driven by universal motors. Usually the carbon brushes go after 4-5 years. However the best motor I have seen is those on the LG machines, single phase, brush-less and direct drive so no belt less shake. But I got one in that the bearings leaked so water got into the guts of the motor. Expensive machine = expensive motor so it was written off. Actually still have the motor in the workshop will get some photos taken next week for you to post here for me.

If you like I could post some funny stories collected from the whitegood’s trade

der Großvater
We had to replace our 7 year old Zanussi 2 weeks back when the drum bearing went west. It's in the shop waiting for me to get the panels off and have a go at a repair, which the local trade guy assured me was possible. [ Repair by him was more cost than a new machine.] We got a Bosch. Dunno what sort of motor, but it sounds like a gas turbine, so I guess it's not induction.

Last edited by Alan Belson; 03/30/07 04:15 PM. Reason: pressed stupid submit key by mistake.

Wood work but can't!
Anyway, Ken, fire away on the white goods stuff. Just packed in smoking [5 days ago], after 45 years. Please, ANYTHING to take my mind off tobacco!!!

Wood work but can't!
M
Washing machines in North Am are usually split phase or shaded pole single phase 120 volt motors. Some are capacitor start with a start and run winding.
I am wondering what a 6 phase DC motor is. Could it be a 6 pole DC motor? Why DC? Why would anyone put a motor with brushes in a washing machine? Motors with brushes and commutators are usually series wound AC or Dc motors like in power tools Some work AC,DC and would be a universal series wound motor.

R
Originally Posted by Kenbo
Mike

Now you have got me thinking “6-phase DC motor” Got any photos?

Yes Kenbo, I have a motor from a Gentle Annie, Fisher and Paykel, washing machine in parts in the boot of my car.

I will take a couple of pics and will post them today.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard