ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JFLS41 Offline OP
I am new to this forum and just recently started my own electrician business in Western Pennyslvania. My background is with industrial electricity but I do not want to do that anymore. Can someone give me pointers or help in determining what to charge customers for doing residential work. So far I have found I estimated too few hours for doing things I think are simple to do, like re-wire outlets, etc... I learned fast things are not what they seem once you get into the job. So whats the best method for someone like me who is learning. Whats the best way of pricing a job so I don't scare the customer when I give them an estimate yet I don't give them free work when I realize I have not estimated enough hours. Should I not tell them the hours or my rate that I charge? Any input and feedback you guys can give is much appreciated. Also, I enjoy reading through these forums and I am learning alot.

Also, I am taking the Electrician course throught Thompson Learning-Education Direct so I am learning the code stuff and electrical as it applies to residential and small commercial work. Plus reading this forum and being able to come on here and ask questions is a great resource, like having a retired experienced electrician as a neighbor.

Jeff

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
D
I'm a little shocked that you're running an electrical contracting business while taking an electricin course. I short-cut the process myself, but had to pass an exam on "the code stuff" first. I'm almost afraid to give you any advice here.

Dave

J
JFLS41 Offline OP
well, to alleviate your fears, If you had read the full post you would see I have industrial electrical experience. as for codes, its not rocket science, I have the NEC book as a reference and keep the codecheck charts with me.

D
Then all you need to do is a break-even analysis, learn to estimate, come up with a marketing plan, sharpen your sales skills, get a license and insurance and you'll be all set.

Seriously, if you read 10-15 hours per week on all of the above and more, you'll have it made.

Dave

Unless things have changed, Dave, Pennsylvania has no licensing requirement for Construction Contractors unless they're working on Public Works projects.

Write "Electrical Contractor" on the side of your car, and you is one.

D
thats how it still is here in PA people slap there name on the side of there truck after they graduate tech school and they think they're gunna take goin the world. my father was an electrician working for my uncle for 20 years before he "took over" the business.

Scott
J
JFLS41 Offline OP
To be honest, I was glad when I found out PA had no lic req on the statewide level for electrical contractors. It made it feasible and fast business startup to get my business going. There is some positives and negatives to that of course. Biggest negative being any Tom, Dick and Harry can say he is an electrician. The positive is the serious, educated person can grow a business affordably and doesn't have to go through all the beaucratic garbage I read about. I wouldn't know PA if your someone like me, 5 years industrial electrical experience who decided he wanted to stay closer to home and start his own residential & commercial business. As for the electrical codes, it's not rocket science, get the codebook, Mike Holts course and study away...

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 03-11-2005).]

J
JFLS41 Offline OP
and just to add to that, in case anyone wants to view me in a negative light, there is alot of Tom, Dick and Harry's doing work around here, thank God someone like me is getting into the business and doing work the right way. one last thing, I came to this forum because I saw it is a great resource for electricians, I hope I have wandered into a bed of disgruntled guys who want to pick a scab...

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 03-11-2005).]

J
JFLS41 Offline OP
hope i "haven't" wandered, I meant to say...

D
+1 for the Education Direct class (my alma mater for booklearnin'). They're not bad for a good general overview.

As far as codes go, make sure you check your local AHJ's for additions / mods / changes, and what version of the NEC they're using currently.

Nothing beats hands on experience, however. You might want to try acting as a "sub" for another resi shop in the area until you get more experience with the "little" stuff (compared to your industrial history) [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard