ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
MRI LED lights dimmer control replacement - wow!
by Potseal. 01/19/18 08:52 PM
VDE 0100 to introduce AFCIs
by sparky. 01/19/18 08:03 PM
Video: Inventor of the GFCI self-testing shocks
by Bill Addiss. 01/17/18 11:11 PM
FPE in Germany
by HotLine1. 01/17/18 07:07 PM
Fujifilm Recalls Power Adapter Wall Plugs
by Admin. 01/16/18 07:04 PM
New in the Gallery:
Housebilding DIY wiring
SE cable question
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Working in an old building #151314
10/04/06 12:53 AM
10/04/06 12:53 AM
P
PEdoubleNIZZLE  Offline OP
Member
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 176
McKeesport, PA, USA
I work in an old 3 story building. It was a department store, but was converted to a medical facility. We use half of the first floor for patients, and half of the second floor for storage. There are stairways and hallways leading to the storage part that have exposed asbestos insulation and peeling lead paint. Furthermore, one can freely travel the rest of the second and third floor.

Is this an actual OSHA violation. and if so, can certain places be marked "off limits" if not used, or do they also need to be sealed/repainted?

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Re: Working in an old building #151315
10/04/06 08:03 AM
10/04/06 08:03 AM
G
gfretwell  Online Content

Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,166
Estero,Fl,usa
If you are tired of working there you could call OSHA.


Greg Fretwell
Re: Working in an old building #151316
10/04/06 08:37 AM
10/04/06 08:37 AM
renosteinke  Offline
Cat Servant
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,316
Blue Collar Country
First of all, I would make sure my facts were right. That is, actual chemical tests confirm the presence of the suspect materials. There is a lot of peeling paint that has no lead, and a lot of fuzzy fireproofing that has no asbestos- regardless of age.

Assuming that these materials are present, well, what are you doing? You pretty much have to eat significant quantities of the paint to absorb the lead, and asbestos is a problem only when you inhale it.

If the stuff is just lying there, undisturbed as you walk by.... where's the risk? Can you protect yourself with a mask, while you scrape, vacuum the stuff out of your way? Maybe a coat of spray glue or varnish will keep it in place?

If you actually must disturb the stuff to any extent, then there ought to be a call made to the proper contractor, to reduce the risk.


Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
BEAMEUP
BEAMEUP
WA
Posts: 27
Joined: December 2004
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 20
sparky 16
Potseal 15
Popular Topics(Views)
243,560 Are you busy
180,361 Re: Forum
170,838 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.014s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 0.9511 MB (Peak: 1.0741 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-01-20 05:22:18 UTC