ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#151106 05/12/06 10:58 PM
N
Hello from South Dakota!!!!

Went on a call to repair some 1500w MH lights at a ball field yesterday. They are all perched on top of 70ft three piece steel poles.

I made it up one pole and back down again, but in the process I realized that I am fat, out of shape, and no longer 21 years old. On the way down I became aware of my arthritis and carpal tunell syndrome, and for the last 30ft I was actually scared I was going to fall.

I have done this type of work before and never had any trouble, but it has been about 5 years since I had to. I never want to feel that way again.

What extra measures do those of you who are over 35 do to help insure that you stay in shape? I think it is time for me to go back to the gym. I don't think I could carry my 242lbs up to many more poles without getting injured.

Moral of the story........... Don't take your health or your strength for granted. Those of you who are young; Please work smarter not harder. Those of you who have been around awile; Test yourself often and know your abilities, but never be afraid to admit that you can't do something or that you need help.

Today I am nursing my legs that are so sore I can barely hold up my own wieght. I need advice to stay safe by staying in shape.

You have one life.......Live safe!!

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Jon,
You are so right.
I thought I was in shape, until I went for the New Zealand Fire Service pre-entry tests recently, to be considered for my current position.
The Body-Mass Index is very un-friendly to people like me, I'm tall but at the same time I have put on a lot of wieght by sitting in a Faults Truck.
The real question is though, is how do you lose that wieght?.
Going out running doesn't seem to work.
I eat a reasonably healthy diet, I don't drink alcohol at all.
I do drink a lot of milk and eat a heap of meat.
Good question Jon. [Linked Image]

Jon,
Your 242 pounds, puts you at 109.7kgs.
Which isn't that heavy at all, unless you are only 4ft tall.
I'm slightly above you on 110kg, but I sort of have hieght on my side.
I neglected to mention the fact that I smoke cigarettes.
Giving them up,(as I did a year ago, but took it back up again) would increase my wieght by another 10%.
It was the wieght gain that shyed me away from giving up.
Nicotine is an appetite suppresent, meaning you eat less, lose that and you find yourself constantly eating, I know I've been there before!.
Sure it is not an excuse at all to keep smoking, which I reckon is a dirty habit, but, what wrecks your lungs, helps your stomach.
I will also say that I am one of the fittest Fire-fighters in the local Fire Brigade.
Considering that 3 of them hold a Black Belt in Siedo Karate.

B
The real question is though, is how do you lose that wieght?.

Energy output must exceed energy input. It's as simple as that!

M
2 words - bucket truck [Linked Image]

N
Hey Trumpy,

I too ama smoker and have been for well over 20yrs. I am 6' tall, so i guess I am not that much over weight, but I sure would like to get back to around 200lbs.

I was injured on the job about 4yrs ago and had 5 months of recovery. That is where the weight gain started. Then about 14 months ago I was laid off for a few months and there went the weight again, (along with strength each time).

I have decided to try and cut back on the food and get a little extra exercise after work.

I agree with mahlere, a bucket truck with an 80' boom would be nice, but I want to have the strength to do what ever is asked of me without the fear of running out of juice.

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
One other thing Jon,
I'm not sure if you were a member here at the time but I have had a "Coronary Episode" as it is called these days, this happened about 2? years ago?.
Sorry it might have been 3 years ago.
Pauluk would have a better idea.
Back in my days it was called a "Heart Attack".
I'm not looking to repeat that scenario.

N
Hey Mike!

Yes I do remember when you had your heart attack. You were in my prayers.

I hid in the shadows just snooping around for about 1 year before I became a member in 2001. Hard to believe it has been five years already!

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
S
Althoughmy navy days have long sinced past I still ride my biycycle all the time. I have been known to ride from west springfield mass to bloomfield conn when we had a job there. Wheather permitting of course. My doctor says its one of the best things anyone middle aged (Boo) can do. I feel good never winded and my legs never hurt. If you need to get into some kind of shape try a bike.

N
Hello Steve,

I had never really considered a bike, but that is not a bad idea. Good cardio workout while putting little strain on the knees.

Might have to go yard sale shopping this week and see if I can find a good bike. Thanks for the idea.

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard