ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trumpy Offline OP
There was a nasty incident here locally that I am aware of.
Had the young guy been wearing a decent Hard Hat, this would not have happened.
But he wasn't, he was wearing a cheap copy of a Hard-hat, I was shown by the local OSH Inspector that it had the Hard hat Compliance sticker, but there was no NZS Number or other approvals apart from a C-tick
(For EMI standards) and a CE mark (and we all know it means Chinese Engineered).
Only reason I say this, is because I filled in for the guy yesterday as a wicket-keeper in a local game of cricket, he died last night at 9pm.
Off-topic, but if you are looking at this Trish and Becky, (Mother and Daughter), please take care!. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mike.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
C
It is pretty sad that someone would supply this young guy with a cheap knockoff hard hat. How can you justify saving a couple of bucks over the value of a life? That is just wrong.

Al

B
I hate to ask it this way, however, was the hardhat supplied by his employer or was it one that was purchaced by the individual?

I have worked in industry requiring hardhats for 15 years and have seen companies that supply the cheapest they can get. I have also worked where they get the best money can buy (incidentaly, my current job does this).

Amazingly, with these high quality hardhats, some individuals buy their own, cheaper hats. Most complain that the cheap ones are lighter, more comfortable, better looking... whatever.

I am not looking to point blame, but to point out that sometimes the best intentions of an employer can be subverted.

Ed

Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
I've had more information from the OSH Inspector since my original post and it doesn't look good for the Employer.
What actually happened was young Rick was on a local building site here and happened to be walking under a scaffolding at the same time as a Plumber dropped his 12" Stilson Wrench.
So I'm told, it hit Rick in the head and caused near-fatal injuries.
From what the Inspector tells me, Rick was only wearing a "Bump Cap", not a Full Hard Hat as he should have been provided with.
Apparently, the thing split into 3 pieces upon impact.
Sure, a freak accident, but one that could have been easily preventable.
Big Ed, to answer your question, it was supplied by the Employer. [Linked Image]
Even worse, to be 23 years old and dead, with a young family.
We all know someone that has had a head injury at one time or another, my absolute sympathy goes out to those that have and have to live with it.
Capt Al, I agree with you whole-heartedly!. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mike.

{Message edited to fix up spelling}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-18-2005).]

G
That's a sad story Mike.

On the subject of head injuries,I know a fella who's in his late 60's,and has something similar to Alzheimers(sp?)

His Dr's have pretty much ruled out the possibility of regular Alzheimer's,and have attributed it to a head injury he had as a younger man,so even tho you recover from such an injury,no telling what long-term effects it might have on you.

Russell

Trumpy Offline OP
Good Call Russ!,
And nice to see you down here. [Linked Image]
The brain of a human being is such a delicate thing.
It is suspended in a certain amount of fluid and if that fluid layer is damaged, wether it be by injury or disease, it has huge ramifications for it's owner.
Look at Enchephalitis (sp?), or Fluid on the Brain.
It doesn't take much of a knock to seriously effect the Brain.
Break a part of your skull and that opens up an entirely different kettle of fish. [Linked Image]
Isn't a Hard hat such cheap protection?.

D
Our pastor's son-in-law was working on a job site just before Xmas, when a mason accidentally dislodged a step board (2" x 6") which headed down and pegged him in the head.

While his helmet was Listed, and a decent commercially available brand (AFAIK), it shattered, and part of the injury was chunks of plastic in his head, along with the resultant swelling from the impact.

He survived, and it appears he'll be making a significant recovery (thank goodness).

Scary stuff!

G
I'll confess that nowadays when I work in an attic for any length of time,I put a hard hat on.

It's a pain,and you get some strange looks,but after gouging my noggin on a roofing nail a couple years ago,it's well worth it. It's kept me from many a cut on my head.

Russell

P
I'll confess that nowadays when I work in an attic for any length of time,I put a hard hat on.
I must admit that I'd never even considered that, but when I think back to the times I've clonked my nut on something in an awkward attic it's probably not a bad idea.

Would need to be a hat with a very low profile for some of the tight spaces though.

Trumpy Offline OP
Yeah Russ,
I'd agree with wearing a hard-hat up in a roof.
Things have got worse since builders started using Nail-guns and just fire nails into the timber willy-nilly.
I've knealt on a few, in the past, they are sharper than the older type nails too.
Doug, it's great to see that young fella come out of that accident OK, that's a nasty one.
Ouch!. [Linked Image]

{Message edited for spelling errors}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-29-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard