ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
MRI LED lights dimmer control replacement - wow!
by Potseal. 01/18/18 10:41 PM
Video: Inventor of the GFCI self-testing shocks
by Bill Addiss. 01/17/18 11:11 PM
FPE in Germany
by HotLine1. 01/17/18 07:07 PM
VDE 0100 to introduce AFCIs
by LongRunner. 01/17/18 10:32 AM
Fujifilm Recalls Power Adapter Wall Plugs
by Admin. 01/16/18 07:04 PM
New in the Gallery:
Housebilding DIY wiring
SE cable question
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kentucky tourist dies after being electrocuted near Las Vegas Strip #149205
08/19/03 12:21 AM
08/19/03 12:21 AM
S
SAFTENG  Offline OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 136
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Kentucky tourist dies after being electrocuted near Las Vegas Strip
August 19, 2003

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- A tourist died after she was electrocuted near a Las Vegas Strip casino during a powerful weekend thunderstorm.

Rebecca Longhoffer, 39, of Louisville, Ky., was walking across a median near the Treasure Island hotel-casino Saturday about 9:30 p.m. when she stepped on a wet traffic signal wiring box and collapsed, authorities said.

Bystanders tried to revive Longhoffer but were unsuccessful. Longhoffer was taken to Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.

Clark County Public Works spokesman Bobby Shelton said a worn wire inside the traffic box may have caused the electrocution.

Las Vegas Lt. Chuck Mangrum said the victim was not wearing any shoes. The Clark County Coroner's Office has ruled Longhoffer's death an accident.

Longhoffer, a computer programmer and mother of four, was visiting Las Vegas with her fiance, who was playing in a billiards tournament. She was engaged to Clarence Andrew Martincic, 29, of Louisville.

Longhoffer's father, Russell Brooks, said the children had been told about their mother's death.

"They're doing as well as can be expected," he said. "It's tragic. Rebecca's mother died when she was 11. And now her son, Shelby, is 11."

Shelton said the county doesn't have the manpower to check every traffic box.

"We just don't have the manpower or the budget to take our maintenance workers off of their regular assignments to check every utility box," Shelton said.

Shelton advised people not to walk on the boxes.

"If people are walking in the rain and they see a metal lid under a puddle," he said. "They may want to avoid stepping on it."

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Re: Kentucky tourist dies after being electrocuted near Las Vegas Strip #149206
08/23/03 06:36 AM
08/23/03 06:36 AM
Trumpy  Offline

Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,231
SI,New Zealand
I reckon that they should have Grounded the box, for a start!.

[Linked Image]
This is really tragic!!.

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-23-2003).]


Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
Trumpy
Trumpy
SI,New Zealand
Posts: 8,231
Joined: July 2002
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 20
sparky 18
Potseal 14
Popular Topics(Views)
243,543 Are you busy
180,346 Re: Forum
170,832 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.010s Queries: 14 (0.003s) Memory: 0.9436 MB (Peak: 1.0608 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-01-19 05:22:54 UTC