ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 287 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
SAFTENG Offline OP
UTILITY WORKER KILLED AS HE RESTORED STORM OUTAGE
A Nashville Electric Service lineman has been electrocuted as crews worked to restore power outages caused by storms. A utility spokeswoman says Curtis Peterson Junior had climbed a power pole in the Joelton area on Nashville's northwest edge and touched a live line. Teresa Corlew says another lineman working with Peterson called 9-1-1, did a pole top rescue, then performed C-P-R on the victim until an ambulance arrived. The incident occurred shortly after eleven p-m Central time yesterday. Peterson was pronounced dead at Skyline Medical Center.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Something needs to be said about the safety practices of the Line Crews in the US.
I would call it SLACK!!.
Guys not wearing simple protection like gloves, hats and so-forth, is just a joke!.
It doesn't say a lot for the Overseers(Supervisors) of these Line Crews!. [Linked Image]

Personally though,
I have a Voltage detector with a forked end on it, that fits on to the end of my Hot-Stick, if it glows, it means that the line is still live.
It works from 230 up to 36kV, and it cost me NZ$189, a small price to pay, for my own safety.
Why the h**l can the line crews not have a device like this with them?. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-16-2003).]

B
Mike — I’ve wanted to ask if noncontact AC-voltage “Modiewark Testers” were common in NZ. Here’s a grab shot of a universal-stick mounted one—a higher-voltage version of the marker-pen-sized 600V models. It has daylight-visible LEDS and an obnoxious piezo squeaker, with AC ranges from 240V {tests fine on 120V} up to 230kV, and a foam-lined storage tube. If you gotta’ stake your life on any instrument, this one’s my favorite.

There are other versions that are good for ~800kV.

[Linked Image from 64.146.180.232]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-15-2003).]

B
Trumpy, I forgot to mention that the non-contact Modiewark Testers are manufactured in Australia.

Link Copied to Clipboard