Hi I am new to the group, just signed up today. I am recovering from a 2300 volt shock and blast. Got me 6 weeks in St. Barnabas burn unit and a 14 months off so far. Just wanted to say be careful out there guys.When i was in the hospital and therapy ive seen around 20 electricians come through there i never relized so many accients happend.
It’s good to hear that you are here to tell about it and recovering.
For a lot of the last century most concerns have been voiced about the hazards of electric shock, and then in the eighties an electrical engineer, Ralph H Lee authored a paper, The Other Electrical Hazard: Electric Arc Blast Burns. Slowly, it is being acknowledged through and reflected in codes and standards that both can be very serious problems.
All of us should never forget that arc blast can be a grave situation in 600V-class gear, too.
Re: 2300 volt blast#148782 04/30/0311:29 PM04/30/0311:29 PM
Your right either one can kill you. I got a little of both, the shock collapsed my right lung they think and the blast gave me 2nd and 3rd degree burns on the chest,arms,hands and neck. I dont want to get into details but i saw some PSE&G guys and some who pulled old meters that fell apart in thier hands not a nice site. To all be safe.
Re: 2300 volt blast#148783 05/01/0301:26 AM05/01/0301:26 AM
marktlm123, Welcome to ECN!!. Thanks for the friendly warning and I would agree with Bjarney, that it's good that you are alive to tell us about your experience. One thing that everybody that works around electricity, should be aware of is the large amount of Energy that is released during one of these incidents, it's just not nice at all!.
Re: 2300 volt blast#148784 05/01/0309:39 AM05/01/0309:39 AM
I was dreading this question., Unfortunantly it's going through the lawyers so I cant say much other that there was 2300 volts mixed up in an old motor control center with all mixed voltages and no warning signs of such high voltage. Interlocks were gone just a real mess and mainly a lack of warning signs and other violations. In these very large industrial buildings its hard to know what every thing is all the time so be alert and use caution. Like there was a guy from St. Barnabas who pulled a meter and it blew up in his face, so you never no how.
Re: 2300 volt blast#148788 05/02/0301:43 AM05/02/0301:43 AM
hi guys i did got a shock with 600 volts dc and it hurt my hand for quite a while but i pretty well recoved now and i got wise with that and expect everything is hot(alive there)that time i was working on buss bar and acording my tester it show dead and i was hooking up new clip for fuse and some how the lockout switch overrideed and got back feed and got hit hard i was using inslualted glove and i was running cordless drill to tap it and blew my drill out and i was injured for short while but i working full time now without side effect now thanks to the doctor who he treat me fast few other details i cant say here much at all ( the lawyer gave me partal gag order )
Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)
Re: 2300 volt blast#148789 05/02/0305:31 AM05/02/0305:31 AM