ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
VDE 0100 to introduce AFCIs
by sparky. 01/20/18 05:09 PM
MRI LED lights dimmer control replacement - wow!
by Potseal. 01/19/18 08:52 PM
Video: Inventor of the GFCI self-testing shocks
by Bill Addiss. 01/17/18 11:11 PM
FPE in Germany
by HotLine1. 01/17/18 07:07 PM
Fujifilm Recalls Power Adapter Wall Plugs
by Admin. 01/16/18 07:04 PM
New in the Gallery:
Housebilding DIY wiring
SE cable question
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (gfretwell), 12 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Electrocution #148046
05/11/03 09:00 AM
05/11/03 09:00 AM
B
BPHgravity  Offline OP
Member
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 139
Port Charlotte, Florida
Accident or Negligence??????????????

2 teenagers electrocuted in canal dive


By ADAM KOVAC, akovac@news-press.com


A dive into a canal for a Nerf football Thursday afternoon resulted in the deaths of a North Fort Myers teenager and a friend who tried to save him, authorities said.

The boys were electrocuted when they touched a boat lift, sending them into cardiac arrest. They died at Cape Coral Hospital.

“The kids are both over here all the time playing,” said Ray D’Elosua, a neighbor. “It’s just a real sad state of affairs.”

D’Elosua identified the teens as Alex Hale and Doug Brandenburg Jr., though authorities said they would not confirm their identities until today.

Lee County sheriff’s Sgt. Kim Falk said the lift, part of a boat dock behind a house at 4347 S. Canal Circle, showed no visible signs of damage or wires extending into the water.

About 5:53 p.m., neighbors said the boys, described as in their mid-teens, were jumping on a backyard trampoline when one spotted the football in the canal.

Brandenburg jumped in and screamed when he grabbed the electrified lift to pull himself from the water. Hale summoned nearby adults and then jumped into the water. As he pulled his friend to shore, he also touched the lift.

D’Elosua, 55, said neighbors and one of the boys’ parents used a ladder to help yank the two from the water and tried to resuscitate them until about a dozen paramedics and deputies arrived.

“At one point, I thought he was going to come out of it,” D’Elosua said of attempts to revive one of the teenagers.

Workers from Lee County Electric Cooperative shut off power to the lift, but were unable to determine if the accident was the result of faulty wiring or wear and tear, Falk said.

The homeowner, whose children are friends of the teenagers, was too upset to comment on the accident Thursday night, Falk said.

Neither of the boys reside at the house where the accident occurred.

“All around, it’s a tragedy,” Falk said. “Nobody or nothing to blame — it’s one of those awful things.”


Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Re: Electrocution #148047
05/12/03 05:46 AM
05/12/03 05:46 AM
S
sparky  Offline
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,344
Quote
“Nobody or nothing to blame — it’s one of those awful things.”



is there a lawyer in the house?

Re: Electrocution #148048
05/12/03 05:59 AM
05/12/03 05:59 AM
Trumpy  Offline

Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,231
SI,New Zealand
Pretty typical really,
an accident happens and everyone dives for cover against the ensuing litigation!.
I sympathise with the families, personally!.
When was this thing last inspected???. [Linked Image]

Re: Electrocution #148049
05/12/03 10:59 AM
05/12/03 10:59 AM
R
Roger  Offline
Member
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 1,716
N.C.
If this had happened on a job site, would anyone here in their wildest dreams think OSHA would say
Quote
“Nobody or nothing to blame — it’s one of those awful things.”


Now, here in the private sector we have two young people who had not started their lives gone, and we are going to settle with the above statement. [Linked Image]

Even though there is grief shared by all, there is something just plain wrong.

Was this wiring up to code?

Roger

Re: Electrocution #148050
05/13/03 01:39 AM
05/13/03 01:39 AM
Trumpy  Offline

Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,231
SI,New Zealand
Hi Roger,
Certainly makes you wonder.
But in a situation like this, who really is responsible?.
Is it the owner for having shoddy wiring or is it the authorities for not regularly checking an installation that is near water?.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-13-2003).]

Re: Electrocution #148051
05/13/03 09:36 PM
05/13/03 09:36 PM
R
Roger  Offline
Member
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 1,716
N.C.
Hello Trumpy.

First of all, congratulations and I offer my respect for you in becoming a moderator in this safety forum.

Now back to the situation.

I don't know who is responsible, but I would like to ask, Who wired it? When was it wired? Was it inspected? Has it been modified? Was it now or ever GFCI protected?

I guess in the least, I'm saying something fell thru the cracks.

Roger

Re: Electrocution #148052
05/15/03 04:01 AM
05/15/03 04:01 AM
Trumpy  Offline

Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,231
SI,New Zealand
Thanks Roger,
"Falling through the cracks" seems to be a common term when an accident like this or any other that can't be blamed on anyone or thing.
I would be hoping that this accident would help to close some of these large, gaping cracks!. [Linked Image]


Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
togol
togol
NW In. USA
Posts: 421
Joined: September 2005
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 20
sparky 16
Potseal 15
Popular Topics(Views)
243,581 Are you busy
180,379 Re: Forum
170,855 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.019s Queries: 14 (0.004s) Memory: 0.9868 MB (Peak: 1.1363 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-01-21 18:35:08 UTC