ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
VDE 0100 to introduce AFCIs
by sparky. 01/20/18 05:09 PM
MRI LED lights dimmer control replacement - wow!
by Potseal. 01/19/18 08:52 PM
Video: Inventor of the GFCI self-testing shocks
by Bill Addiss. 01/17/18 11:11 PM
FPE in Germany
by HotLine1. 01/17/18 07:07 PM
Fujifilm Recalls Power Adapter Wall Plugs
by Admin. 01/16/18 07:04 PM
New in the Gallery:
Housebilding DIY wiring
SE cable question
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (sparky), 10 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Electrician departed from safe practice and lost his life #147104
01/17/02 09:37 PM
01/17/02 09:37 PM
S
SAFTENG  Offline OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 136
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Electrician departed from safe practice and lost his life

A fatal accident inquiry into the death of Jim Duncan, an experienced self-employed plumber/electrician, who was electrocuted in an Aberdeen flat last August, has heard from an electrical expert that his death resulted from his failure to adopt a safety strategy in his work task.
Mr Duncan would not have died if he had switched off the power, left a cover on a thermostat containing live terminals, or even worn protective insulating gloves prior to inspecting a water tank.
Live terminals
Sheriff Alasdair McFadyen declared that Mr Duncan was electrocuted because he contacted a live part while undertaking plumbing work in the property.
Mr Duncan entered the bathroom to access a water tank in a cupboard behind a bath. When the resident of the flat addressed him from outside he received no reply, and when he entered the room he discovered the electrician slumped over the cupboard.

Investigation
Investigating the death, Mr John Madden, HSE's Scottish Principal Electrical Inspector found the cover of the thermostat next to the tank had been removed exposing live conductors. It had been established also that the power had not been switched off at the time of the accident.
Mr Madden said: "If Mr Duncan had reached into the cupboard to adjust the thermostat with the cover off, it is highly likely that he would also have touched one of the live terminals."


Visit www.SAFTENG.net for more electrical accidents and other industrial accidents.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Re: Electrician departed from safe practice and lost his life #147105
01/25/02 05:53 AM
01/25/02 05:53 AM
S
sparky  Online Content
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,344
Quote
self-employed plumber/electrician,


An electrician huh? sounds more like Mr. handyman to me, as i know of few dual masters.

If indeed so, this should not be thrown into the catagory of 'Fried Electricians' should it?

We have enough questionable stat's already.

Re: Electrician departed from safe practice and lost his life #147106
01/25/02 08:40 AM
01/25/02 08:40 AM
Bill Addiss  Offline
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,890
NY, USA
Sparky,

I think that we're after accidents related to Electricity, this helps us increase our awareness of what can happen and avoid it. We're not building up statistics.

If I'm not mistaken we have at least one Electrician/Plumber as a regular here at the Forums.

Bill


Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
waymag
waymag
dallas, texas, USA
Posts: 67
Joined: January 2002
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 20
sparky 16
Potseal 15
Popular Topics(Views)
243,576 Are you busy
180,374 Re: Forum
170,852 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.017s Queries: 14 (0.006s) Memory: 0.9519 MB (Peak: 1.0759 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-01-21 16:32:55 UTC