ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#141710 10/15/04 06:16 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
With apologies for the lousy quality pics, but my cheapo camera doesn't do well in anything but bright conditions and as you can see from the sky, today was rather gloomy!

There are only telephone lines on these poles, but just look how much they're off-vertical on this curve. A couple of the poles have already been guyed to poles on the opposite side of the road, and those poles themselves are also guyed into the adjoining field.

Yes, they really do lean as much as they appear to in these photos!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#141711 10/16/04 01:23 PM
Paul,
From them 2 pics, you'd be forgiven for thinking that the ground was a bit unstable in this area.
What sort of telephone cables are those on the pole?, they look rather heavy.
Mind you, it never is easy to support wires of any sort, where they follow the bend in a road, the tighter the bend, the higher the forces on the pole and the better the bracing/guying needs to be.
but my cheapo camera doesn't do well in anything but bright conditions
Your camera must have been more expensive than mine Paul, at least your pictures are in focus!. [Linked Image]
BTW, your sky looks just the same as ours over here at the moment.

#141712 10/17/04 10:41 AM
U
I wish I had had my camera handy whilst travelling through Scotland. Unfortunately it was in the back of the truck.

We were working up near Wick - ten steps from the end of the UK [Linked Image] - in a very peaty area. One supply line disappearing off into the unknown was marching right across a peat bog. Although in a straight line, the natural heave in the bog and the constant gale perpendicular to the run had had an interesting effect on the poles!

I kid you not when I say that they must have been a full 35deg from the true - substantial case of verticulitis!! [Linked Image]

Some had been stayed, though I noticed that one such stay had pulled from the ground! I guess nobody was worried; perhaps they had reached their point of equilibrium with the forces of nature, and the conductors were still out of reach!!!

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#141713 10/17/04 03:47 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
What sort of telephone cables are those on the pole?,
They're big multi-pair bundles carrying the lines into the village of East Ruston, which starts about a half-mile further down the road in the second photo.

The land either side of the road at this point is just farmland, but as you can see from the water lying at the roadside in the first pic, drainage here is pretty poor. In fact the drainage on rural backlanes in this whole local area is almost non-existant, as it seems that nobody keep the old drainage channels clear any more. [Linked Image]

I kid you not when I say that they must have been a full 35deg from the true - substantial case of verticulitis!!
They grow a hardy bunch of poles up there! Makes our Sassenach ones down here seem positively upright! [Linked Image]

#141714 10/18/04 03:25 PM
U
They grow a hardy bunch of poles up there! Makes our Sassenach ones down here seem positively upright!

ROTFL!! [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!

Link Copied to Clipboard