ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#14131 09/15/02 08:28 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Thought you might find this interesting. From a site talking about living in Panama:
Here is what real freedom is all about. As we live in a rural area, building anything you want is a “piece of cake." Although a building permit is required it is very easy to do “your thing." All you have to do is provide them with a rough drawing and pay a moderate tax. Zoning restrictions are vague. Go ahead and put up that 100’ tower or have a home business but on the other hand, your neighbor might be raising chickens. No one comes around to tell you hey! “You can’t do that”. Building inspectors are few. I have been remodeling for four years and have not seen one yet. Even though there may be a lack of inspectors, It is recommended to follow standard building practices for your own protection. Quality building materials are readily available including exotic woods. You can have custom “all wood” furniture, doors, windows and cabinets made at a fraction of the cost in the U.S. Block, cement, sand, re-bar, and imported plumbing and electrical hardware are all available at very reasonable prices. Carpenters, masons, plumbers and electricians generally run about $16-$20 a day.

Note that's per day, not per hour!

S
i'd certainly be raising more chickens....

First Quarter this year I averaged $30 per work day (net after overhead, not gross)...

It's much better than that now (thanks to much good advice here!).

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-15-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

Link Copied to Clipboard