ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#140801 05/05/04 01:00 PM
T
Since overhead disstribution is mostly restricted to rural areas I only found those pics:

Older style overhead service:

[Linked Image from kelag.at]

Newer style OH service using Quadruplex:

Rooftop connection with individual wires:

Same with Quarduplex:

20kV distribution line:

Different kind of pole, same voltage:

P
One of the things I still find fascinating is how little things like road markings, street layout, and utility poles instantly convey the message "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto."

In the third pic, are those poles actually fitted to the roofs of the houses? It looks as though the upright is clamped to the chimney of the house in the foreground with a strut running off to the right.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-07-2004).]

T
I don't think the chimney is actually close to the rooftop pole, can be pretty hard to tell on pictures. Usually those poles are fastened to structural wood below, the strut is probably just an additional support, can't remember seeing such a strut too often.

D
djk Offline
The quardruplex / duplex service looks quite familiar. Loads of them in non-urban Ireland.

All of the new ones run to a pole at the edge of the property and underground from there. (Usually, but not always the nearest ESB distribution pole)

I wonder if the poles on the roof have something to do with regular heavy snow fall ? With the old uninsulated cables I don't think it would be a good idea to have them sitting in contact with the snow on the roof...
Over here you'd be more worried about rain, wind and obese pigeons.

T
I wonder if the poles on the roof have something to do with regular heavy snow fall ?

Could be. Never really thought about that. The few areas in Vienna that still have OH distribution have el-cheapo Quadruplex services terminating somewhere under the eaves of the houses (most of these houses are hardly more than garden huts)

Link Copied to Clipboard