ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
pauluk Offline OP
For the benefit of some of ECN's international members who might not be familiar with the U.S. states, here's a simple outline map to let you place roughly where our American friends are located.

Keep in mind that the U.S.A. is B-I-G. The distance from east to west coasts is greater than that from Galway, Ireland to Moscow, Russia!

[Linked Image from nationalatlas.gov]

Click here for large map of U.S. Major cities

And the official postal abbreviations for each state, along with the state capital:

AK Alaska -- Juneau
AL Alabama -- Montgomery
AR Arkansas -- Little Rock
AZ Arizona -- Phoenix
CA California -- Sacramento
CO Colorado -- Denver
CT Connecticut -- Hartford
DE Delaware -- Dover
FL Florida -- Tallahassee
GA Georgia -- Atlanta
HI Hawaii -- Honolulu
IA Iowa -- Des Moines
ID Idaho -- Boise
IL Illinois -- Springfield
IN Indiana -- Indianapolis
KS Kansas -- Topeka
KY Kentucky -- Frankfort
LA Louisiana -- Baton Rouge
MA Massachusetts -- Boston
MD Maryland -- Annapolis
ME Maine -- Augusta
MI Michigan -- Lansing
MN Minnesota -- St. Paul
MO Missouri -- Jefferson City
MS Mississippi -- Jackson
MT Montana -- Helena
NC North Carolina -- Raleigh
ND North Dakota -- Bismarck
NE Nebraska -- Lincoln
NH New Hampshire -- Concord
NJ New Jersey -- Trenton
NM New Mexico -- Santa Fe
NV Nevada -- Carson City
NY New York -- Albany
OH Ohio -- Columbus
OK Oklahoma -- Oklahoma City
OR Oregon -- Salem
PA Pennsylvania -- Harrisburg
RI Rhode Island -- Providence
SC South Carolina -- Columbia
SD South Dakota -- Pierre
TN Tennessee -- Nashville
TX Texas -- Austin
UT Utah -- Salt Lake City
VA Virginia -- Richmond
VT Vermont -- Montpelier
WA Washington -- Olympia
WI Wisconsin -- Madison
WV West Virginia -- Charleston
WY Wyoming -- Cheyenne

DC District of Columbia (Washington, D.C.)

{ Edited to add state capitals. }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-31-2004).]

{ Edited to add link to cities map }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-09-2004).]

I'm in the middle of that little purple Island (called Long Island) southeast of New York State in the upper right corner of the map.

It the moment it's all white though, having gotten about 10 inches of snow last night.

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-28-2004).]

Bill
S
Hey Bill, I see your island is bigger than mine?

Now let's see how well you use it (sorry for the Space Balls reference).

Anyway, Manhattan is the fly-speck to the left of Bill's purple thing...

P.S. If you ever get a chance to do so, visit the extreme end of Long Island -- Montauk Point.

One of my favorite places, after the Fire Island Pines...the view out the top of the lighthouse is stunning.....

Paul,
Thanks for the map, mate!. [Linked Image]
This answers a LOT of questions, for me. [Linked Image]

P
pauluk Offline OP
Glad it's of help. [Linked Image]

Let's see: I've traveled extensively around Florida, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Nebraska.

Also briefly visited, or just traveled through New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri.

If you count an airport stop-over as "visiting," add New Jersey and Minnesota to the list, but I think that's probably cheating! [Linked Image]

P.S. There's quite a bit of interesting stuff to browse at the www.nationalatlas.gov website.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-30-2004).]

Good Golly Paul,
Just having a decent look at the map that you posted and it's amazing just how wrong I was about the position of different States in the US.
We were never taught of this at school, although I had a reasonably good idea of where Texas, California and New York were.
Here's one for you, I always thought that Massachusetts(hope I've spelt that right!)
was next to Kansas!.
Perhaps the wind in The Wizard of Oz, blew it all the way over there?.

P
pauluk Offline OP
I'll go back and add the state capitals to the list above for you. Note that in many cases the capital is not necessarily the biggest or most well known city in the state.

I don't suppose you know the old Perry Como song do you?

What did Delaware boy?
She wore her brand New Jersey....

What did Mississip boy?
She sipped a Minne-sota...

And so on through many of the states. [Linked Image]

Massachusetts(hope I've spelt that right!)
According to some residents of the state, it's spelled TAX-achusetts! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-31-2004).]

W

And the official postal abbreviations for each state, along with the state capital:

AK Alaska -- Juneau
AL Alabama -- Montgomery
AR Arkansas -- Little Rock
AZ Arizona -- Phoenix
CA California -- Sacramento
CO Colorado -- Denver
CT Connecticut -- Hartford
DE Delaware -- Dover

I didn't know Delaware had a capital, I though that they borrowed Maryland's... [Linked Image]

You know, as kids in grammar school we had to memorize the capitals of the states. Talk about mostly useless information...

I'm from New Jersey, the state with the most screwed up auto insurance in the country and maybe the world. Also heard that there exists a place in or near England called "Jersey". And there might be a "Hamphsire" and "York"?

W
Keep in mind that the U.S.A. is B-I-G. The distance from east to west coasts is greater than that from Galway, Ireland to Moscow, Russia!
And you can roam at will throughout it too, without dealing with customs and immigration brearucrats. I hate having to deal with nosey brearucrats, as most Americans also hate it too. Also no kings or other royalty as we said screw that back in 1776. [Linked Image]

The USA is one of the few countries in the world with a discontinunity in its territory on the same contenient (Alaska and the "CONUS" (term for the 48 states in the main section)).

P
pauluk Offline OP
Also heard that there exists a place in or near England called "Jersey". And there might be a "Hamphsire" and "York"?
Correct on all three counts. [Linked Image] Hampshire is a county in the south of England, and York is a city in northern England, located in the county which shares its name -- Yorkshire. You'll find many place names in New England and the other Atlantic seaboard states (NY/NJ/DE etc.) which originated in Britain.

Jersey is an island in the English Channel. It's British territory but not part of the U.K., and has its own independent government, tax system, etc. It's actually located closer to France than to England, and although English is the official language there is also a heavy French influence in names and in the local patois.
And you can roam at will throughout it too, without dealing with customs and immigration brearucrats. I hate having to deal with nosey brearucrats, as most Americans also hate it too.
Most Brits hate interfering bureaucrats as well. I think there's an intense distrust of "Big Brother" government in the Anglo-Saxon bloodline!

I'm from New Jersey, the state with the most screwed up auto insurance in the country and maybe the world.
Do tell us more..... This sounds interesting! [Linked Image]

As we seem to have a general travel and country comparison thread going here, everybody feel free to add any interesting anecdotes. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-02-2004).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard