ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#135035 12/19/02 08:31 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
hello all...

we American sparky's, of large land mass & few boarders, usually mark our panels circuit directory in English....despite a few ethnic pockets...

this is a followup to this thread on panel directory markings

I felt the need to elevate the concern to international scrutiny here, as it occurs to me that many of you out there deal with much more a diverse clientel than i would.....

why reinvent the wheel right?

so....what would be you language of choice in panel directories abroad? are there certain considerations or situations that we should lend an ear to?

~S

Sparky,
Panel circuit ID needs to be as concise as
possible, given the (often) small area in which to write.
We have a problem over here in NZ, where circuits are labelled either Lights(for lighting circuits), and Power, for anything else.
This really helps if you are trying to isolate a single circuit that supplies a domestic Dish-washer or the like.

S
sparky Offline OP
lol~ small world Trumpy......

T
Hmmm. Our panels have a directory glued to the door, and electricians usually label the circuits. room 1, room 2, ... dishwasher, laundry, range (usually easy to identify, in most cases the only 3ph breaker). Only problem is to find out which room was assigned which number, as this is left to the sparky's fantasy.
All labels in german for sure.

P
Half the time here I find that the panels haven't been marked at all. That's not too much of a problem on the typical older 4-fuse installation, but where extra sub=panels and circuits have been added, it can take a long time to trace out.

Even where descriptions are present, they're often just not explicit enough, inaccurate due to later modifications, or just plain unintelligible. The prevelance of the ring circuit and just a couple of lighting circuits here means that individual room circuits aren't all that common, but where they are used there's also the point that "Johnny's room" undoubtedly meant something to little Johnny's family, but isn't very helpful to whoever lives there now.

Most domestic panels these days come with sheets of peel-off/stick-on labels for the breakers. While making it very quick and easy to label the breakers, they still don't really provide more than very basic information. There are usually stickers just marked "Sockets" (along with a symbol), maybe "Upstairs sockets" and "Downstairs sockets" if you're lucky. That's not very helpful if the circuits don't neatly divide into first and second floor.

I've never seen anything other than English used here, although I've never lived or worked in any of the areas where we have a high percentage of non-English-speaking immigrants. By the way, the U.K. is actually officially bi-lingual:- Welsh is an official language in Wales.

Link Copied to Clipboard