ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
GRex Offline OP
I had some central AC installed in my attic recently, and a short circuit (or some event) occurred when one of the two 240V circuits were switched on. The circuit breaker did not trip; the installer had to manually switch the circuit off to stop the event. The lightbulbs dimmed in the house, my cable TV was fried, and I noticed what turned out to be a leak in my main water pipe under the foundation.

I have a boiler system for heating, and I'm thinking the short circuit leaked current across my boiler pipes and arced over to the water line and poked a hole in it.

I've been told that this is possible, but I'd like to know for sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

P
Another possibility might be that if the current flowing through the pipework was very high, it could have heated it enough to melt a soldered joint.

S
It sounds to me like you have some grounding issues. Perhaps grounding rods and ther water pipe ground are not bonded together, or no grounding rods at all (older service). The cable blew due to the current flowing through the pipe going to the cable bonding nut and through the cable box (and back down the ground wire probabally).

I would say you have at least 2 problems:

1) High resistance gound (does not allow enough current to flow to trip the breaker.

2) Bonding problems. All grounds are supposed to be bonded together to create an equal potential. Improperly bonded grounds will easily destroy electronic equipment (cable sattilite system, computer networks etc) as they use and link grouns on different points in the electirical system.

SD

SD
It is best for a leader to be both feared and loved. But since this usually cannot be done, it is safer to be feared.

Link Copied to Clipboard