ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#12909 08/21/02 12:24 PM
The project that I'm has job trailer(s) as opposed to a job trailer. The GC I'm working for has a phone system that consists of several phones in various locations in (3) trailers that are all "butted" together. When a phone call comes in, the person that answers the call must get up, and walk over to the adjacent trailer to inform the person who the call is for.
They've already been to Radio Shack and tried the "wall mounted radio set up". They are looking for something that will run off of a 120 v receptacle, hard wired, fairly inexpensive, and provide decent volume.
I'm thinking something of the residential grade would be good enough. I know that there are many of you guys that know a lot more about resi than I do. Can you help me out?

On the job,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
G
Doc,
Radio Shack used to have a 110 volt intercom that worked real well for that purpose, the only caution used to be all had to be connected to the same transformer, worked off line carrier type deal.

Graingers also used to carry them.

P
Doc,

Cheap intercoms are fairly plentiful, either hard-wired on the line-carrier types. You shouod be able to get a few with selective calling to the other units without any difficulty.

If the trailers are running off a 3-ph supply you might find some of the carrier types don't work too well unless they're on the same phase, or unless you provide a RF path between phases (a couple of capacitors usually do the trick).

Thanks gentlemen. I'll start hunting for something.

Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
G
Ah Doc,

When you find something make sure ya leave the trash on their floor:> )

Glenn

Wilco,
GlennH. Bombay doors open, target in sight, and trash will be on the ground in 05 mikes.

Out,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
C
Radio Shack has a R.F.(radio frequency)intercom system that they sell for about $100.00.It will also accept their hand held units when they are set to the same channel and quiet code.
I have 2 of the wireless base stations and 2 hand helds and the sound quality is excellent.
I beleive that they refer to this as their F.R.S.or family radio system.It does not use the power wires as the transmission medium.
Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard