ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#127421 07/02/01 03:12 AM
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
[Linked Image]

This Schematic demonstrates how to find relative polarities of two individual and separate 1 phase 2 wire transformers.

The series connection between the Secondary Windings is a "Test Jumper", which is used only during the test procedures.
Test equipment consists of a common DVM [Digital Voltage Meter] - which is represented by the "E" in the circle.

**NOTE** Both Transformers need to be identical for Pri/Sec voltage, KVA and Z.

Any Comments???

Scott SET - posted 07/02/01

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#127422 07/03/01 03:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
This is a great pair of diagrams!

It shows how when voltages are of the same polarity, they subtract; but of opposite polarity, they add.

#127423 07/07/01 05:02 PM
Scott35 Offline OP
Broom Pusher and
Dspark,

Thanks for the reply!!! Glad the schematics are of use to the members of this forum.

As you said, the schematic demonstrates how relative polarity can either add voltages ["in phase" connections], or subtract voltages ["out of phase" connections].

It's all according to the direction of current flow on the secondary coil[s] - Vs - the magnetic flow in the core.

These polarity test schematics are really aimed more at the "How-To" or the "FYI" angle of things, rather than at anything that is trade applicable [except that anyone performing "in the field transformer connections" would benifit from this info.].

This particular schematic would be helpful if someone was planning to connect two separate transformers for a common output [Parallel Primary connections, Parallel, Series, or even "Multiwire" Secondary connections].

Transformers need to be exactly the same - even as much as being "Cloned" from the other - in order to function properly.
This meaning that not just the input/output voltage being the same, but the core material, winding density, KVA, %Z, reflected Z and all that jazz. Otherwise one winding will circulate a large level of current.

*** NOTE ***
The NEC does not allow the permanent usage of Paralleled Transformers!!! I can understand the reason[s] why!!!
so much for the disclaimer!

Once again, thank you!!! Glad these schematics are of interest.

P.S. Do you have any drawings, or similar tech. data that you could post here???
If you have any suggested item[s]. let me know. Feel free to contact me directly via E-Mail.
I am adding more mail filters to sift through the massive spam assults, so anyone planning to E-Mail me directly, please include:

Per the ECN forum

at the beginning of the "Subject" heading.
This will place your message in the ECN Members' folder, rather than in the "Inbox" which gets trashed and emptied instantly.
Once I record a member's address, the filter script doesn't need to be used for future messages.

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard