ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#124060 07/17/06 05:47 AM
Here are some pictures of "Doofy the Electrician's" "work". The Tale of Doofy is located HERE, HERE , and
HERE

From Togol (Tom)

This thing laying outside is what's left of a new Hubbell Insulgrip Twist-lock, I don't know where the other half is since this body has been laying right there for a couple weeks. Luckily, the lighting is done so this one isn't needed.

[Linked Image]

Here are some of the old fixtures that Doofy took down. Keep in mind that somebody other than Doofy put them here after he finished hanging the new ones. He left them helter skelter throughout the Maint. shop. They ended up under this vac because the shop was being "cleaned up", and are still laying there.
The new fixtures, of course, used the twist-locks like the one in the first pic.

[Linked Image]

This is just a shot looking into a part of the production floor. Actually it is not this brightly lighted. I jerked around with the pic a bit to expose two of the cranes in the foreground. A newer third one is in the background.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 07-17-2006).]

#124061 07/22/06 09:05 PM
In one word Tom,
slack!.
This guy has no work ethic at all.
From that first pic, throwing away company property (which it is until it's installed) would get you a warning here.
3 strikes and you're out.
If I was a factory owner and some apprentice from a servicing firm left the old stuff lying around (where it could cause an accident) I'd be into him and his Boss like a rabid dog, real electricians just don't do that sort of thing.
I feel your pain though, mate, I once had a wayward apprentice and him losing a set of keys inside a prison was the last straw for me. [Linked Image]
I phoned my Boss to come and pick him up from the worksite, I'd just had enough of that rubbish, 3 years of endless mistakes (not small ones either).
A man can only take so much. [Linked Image]

#124062 07/24/06 06:12 PM
R
Fellas!
Try working with "co-op" students... even though I am an apprentice myself ( top end of 4'th year), I cant stand working with co-ops and " pre-apprtentices" that are so green they haven't ever picked up a light bulb in their life... I would rather do the work myself and not have anyone else tag along, they just get in the way, UNLESS they have SOME kind of expoerence...

A.D

#124063 07/24/06 10:41 PM
C
Re-wired...what shade of green where you on the first day and did anyone hold your hand?

Everyone has to start somewhere - usually the bottom - it's up to the guys at the top to show them the ropes.

Guys like Doofy "think" they know it all - guys that have a clue "know" they don't know it all. The guys that "think" are the ones I "know" will injure or kill someone.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#124064 07/24/06 11:07 PM
C
At least he seems to be working next to a pile of fire extinguishers...

Proud Inventor of the Three Phase Light Bulb!
#124065 07/25/06 11:52 PM
R
Celtic:

No I wasnt green at all or had anyone hold my hand the first day.... Showed up at the shop that bright sunny day and was right in the bucket truck doing decorative streetlight bulb and ballast replacement that day with no problems whatsoever... Everything went uphill from there...

I DO understand that its up to us that are at the " top" to show the people starting at the bottom the ropes, BUT.... Sometimes those at the bottom WANT to learn the ropes, and there are those as well that could not give a damn, or lack general common sense, to the point they are dangerous to work with or around...

A.D

#124066 07/26/06 03:44 PM
lost keys in a prison......yikes Mike, I can't imagine the stress from that

nothing I hate more than some slob leaving a trail of trash everywhere.

Ironically, the plant has been going through a corporate"safety audit " so far the inspections are exposing ........

less then acceptable levels of compliance

Tom
#124067 07/26/06 06:09 PM
C

No I wasnt green at all or had anyone hold my hand the first day.... Showed up at the shop that bright sunny day and was right in the bucket truck doing decorative streetlight bulb and ballast replacement that day with no problems whatsoever...

See, now that scares me...
- No safety training on bucket truck use and/or overhead dangers.
- No mention of any electrical training
- No mention of fall protection/PPE
- etc

Showed up and started working?
That's scary.

[Linked Image from msha.gov]
http://www.msha.gov/FATALS/2003/FAB03c14.HTM

The dead guy had 29 years experience...
...but YOU weren't "green" on your first day.

A little wind goes a long way .... [Linked Image from broken.typepad.com] http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/photo/archive/archive_101-150/photo134.htm

Here's a WHOLE bunch of people who bear no resemblance to Kermit: http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/photo/archive/default.htm

This final link may be something you should seriously consider veiwing: http://www.oshasafetyvideos.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1327
Bucket Truck Safety Training For Operators ~ from OSHA

[This message has been edited by Celtic (edited 07-26-2006).]

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
#124068 07/26/06 08:23 PM
Cat Servant
Doofy once worked near Nantucket
When they asked him to work from a bucket
He promised "don't worry"
"Besides, I'm in a hurry..."
His last words were "Oh duckit!"

#124069 07/28/06 07:30 PM
R
K... here I have a question..
Where you mention 29 years experience.. thats MINING experience was it not? From what I read there obviously he wasn't thinking by using a crappy piece of Nylon rope to attach a steel I-beam structure to his bucket????? read "HEAVY"... Last time I checked an aerial lift is not a CRANE,
And how did the guy fall out of the bucket as the report stated?? O gee he must have not been wearing the proper harness and or was not tied off....
Now.. I agree that not having proper training on the bucket is something I am embarrased to say was not provided and I feel like an absolute ass, but I was pretty stupid at the time not to realize that... I will mention that I WAS wearing a harness and was tied off to the bucket while working on these decorative lights, of which the poles are only 12 feet tall, completely clear of any overhead hazards, and were locked out by the electrician I was working with at the time..

Yes I screwed up I will admit that, BUT with what I see in those links, common sence should at least tell you that you DO NOT use a bucket, crane, lifting device on a slope or use it for a purpose it is not intended to be used for or overloaded...

A.D

Link Copied to Clipboard