ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#121811 08/23/05 12:16 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
One of my customers is a resturaunt that is ever-so-slowly improving its' electrical system. Suffice it to say that this place was typical of such places. Especially this one, which has a rapidly growing clientele- and is struggling to keep up!

So they added another freezer- one of those monsters 7 ft tall, 5 ft wide, with double doors. Now, this freezer cam with a 20 amp plug...so someone attached a 20 amp duplex receptacle to a 14 ga. extension cord, then ran it to the receptacle over the sink. As you can see, this receptacle also provides the cooks with their music, as well.

Needless to say, the situation has been remedied. I'm just glad nobody got zapped while mopping the floor!

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
You electrical guys fuss about the most trival things...

You know if you take the lightbulbs out of the freezer you can derate the nameplate specs by 25 watts...

On the serious side...that violates soooo much....

RSlater,
RSmike

I know diddley-squat, but that receptacle located over the sink is a positive death-trap. If someone trips and grabs on that freezer cable, the radio/CD will fall straight into the sink. I wouldn't eat there either, if their idea of defrosting meat is to run the faucet over it. The 'U' bend under that sink is probably half full of rotting flesh! YUK!

Alan

ps. Just noticed there's a grotty sponge parked on the drainer. Prob'ly got enough bugs in that to kill half the clientelle!

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 08-23-2005).]

Wood work but can't!
S
I can understand hooking things up to what's there in the building, even if it's under-rated, runs over a stove, etc., etc., etc.

What I don't understand is WHY someone would do a hack job like that instead of putting a 20A cord cap on the cord? The cord cap is easier, neater, safer, and almost legal. What possible motive is there to put the effort into assembling this kind of an abortion?? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 08-24-2005).]

S
That's scary. I hoped you removed those radios on the shelf too.

Health wise I see no gross violations. I think that is how meat is supposed to be defrosted by health department. I'm not so sure that is a sponge as a pair of gloves.

All I really see is that the plug needs a cover or be changed to GFCI. Also they could clean the cove moulding tiles better.

Cat Servant
In defense of this diner, I must point out that 1) he's trying, 2) most of the really bad things I've cleaned up were done by the prior tenant, and 3) this very busy place is actually kept quite clean. Not bad, when you consider that most, if not all, of the folks that work there grew up in mud huts, and everyone's english vocabulary, combined, might be enough to converse at a first-grade level!

So how did I fix this? I removed the receptacle that you see, replacing it with a "Bell" extension and blank plate. I ran a length of pipe (with mineralacs) to the end of the sink, where I surface-mounted a "Bell" box.
Placing a 20 amp receptacle was not a problem; not only was it a 20 amp circuit, this is the only outlet on the circuit (as best I could tell).

With the receptacle moved, the radio (of necessity) was also moved to the end of the sink area.

I
where I surface-mounted a "Bell" box.
Placing a 20 amp receptacle was not a problem; not only was it a 20 amp circuit, this is the only outlet on the circuit (as best I could tell).

GFCI protected?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
GFCI protected?

Not in a commercial kitchen.

Cat Servant
I'm sorry- I absolutely DID use a GFI receptacle.

SE, you're technically correct, as Reno is under the 2002 code. Under the 2005, a receptacle (and not 'hard wire') would need GFI protection.

N
California is under 2002 code.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard