ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
Potseal 11
Recent Posts
Electrode boilers question
by annemarie1. 04/27/17 01:40 PM
Why cables look like they do
by LongRunner. 04/26/17 09:36 AM
Dimmable LED 2x4 lay in fixtures
by HotLine1. 04/24/17 05:43 PM
Old decora style outlets
by Lostazhell. 04/22/17 07:59 PM
Permit Snafus...AHJs and Contractors Jump in
by gfretwell. 04/22/17 01:11 PM
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Popular Topics(Views)
234,890 Are you busy
169,698 Re: Forum
162,924 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 48 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#11958 - 07/27/02 12:46 PM Permits  
sparky*62  Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 20
When is it nessecary to obtain a permit and who would you ask ?I have done jobs were each trade would have to have a permit.And jobs were one permit covered all aspects. I am doing a remodel were the owner hired a handyman (nonlicensed)as the prime builder and they have no permit.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#11959 - 07/27/02 12:54 PM Re: Permits  
sparky  Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,306
perhaps an inquiry here???



Department of Consumer Affairs
Contractors State Licensing Board
P.O. Box 26000
Sacramento, CA 95826 (916) 255-3900
Fax: (916) 366-9130

#11960 - 07/28/02 12:28 AM Re: Permits  
jo  Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 21
Oakland, California
In California it is a misdemeanor to engage in the business or act in the capacity of a contractor without a contractor's license

#11961 - 07/28/02 06:40 AM Re: Permits  
sparky  Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,306
does the 'misdemeanor' justify the contract?

#11962 - 07/28/02 12:04 PM Re: Permits  
George  Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 375
In driving thru Michigan I have seen signs: Zoned Comumity Permits Required.

In general, you can get permit information from the local goverment offices.

If the question is more like: How much work can I do before I neeed a permit? (Do I need a permit to replace a recept?)

This is a legal matter. If the electrictian and AHJ are on conflicting sides, a court needs to decide.

#11963 - 07/28/02 01:07 PM Re: Permits  
sparky*62  Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 20
Yes. The question is : How much work can I do without a permit?

#11964 - 07/28/02 02:57 PM Re: Permits  
arseegee  Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 324
Statesboro, GA USA
62, my immediate AHJ limits the job to $1000.00 before you have to pull a permit. Check with you inspectors office because it varies from place to place.

#11965 - 07/28/02 07:59 PM Re: Permits  
harold endean  Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,233
Boonton, NJ
In NJ you are allowed to change up to 5 devices (receptacles, switches, light fixture,etc.) before a permit is needed. You can replace ballasts and bulbs all you want. All of this is considered "minor repairs". However, you need a permit to change a receptacle into a GFCI type. The only people in NJ who are allowed to do electrical work are licensed electrical contractors, with business permits or the homeowner who lives in the house that is a one family dwelling and that family is his/hers.


#11966 - 07/28/02 08:33 PM Re: Permits  
George  Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 375
Sparky*62 ---

Personally, I would like all work to require a permit and inspection or for no work to need either. But neither will ever happen.

I don't see a difference in one electrictian who spends a 5 days doing one house and needs a permit or another electrictian who does the same amount and type of work but spreads it over twenty houses and 10 days and does not need permits for any of the jobs.

Permit work takes at least 2 trips for an electrictian. The first trip to do the work and the second to watch the inspection. You cannot charge reasonable rates for this much effort. (Around here you call for the inspection when the work is done and the inspection takes place SOMETIME the next day.)

#11967 - 07/29/02 02:44 PM Re: Permits  
dana1028  Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 163
San Carlos, CA
Sparky - you are in CA - CA Contractos State License Board is at - this site has EVERYTHING you need to know about CA contractor requirements - I'll expand on your question just a little bit. 1. You must be a licensed contractor if you do more than $500 in work (this $500 includes materials/fixtures). 2. If you do work in a residence you MUST also be a certified (through the state contractor board) Home Improvement Contractor (HIC). 3. Almost any work done requires a permit (to answer your original question). Check with the local jurisdiction but technically you need a permit to replace a defective light switch. I just worked on a home that was completely rennovated - new roof, new stucco, new water heater, new kitchen, gas and water lines moved, all new windows/doors throughout, carpet, paint....I was the ONLY licensed contractor on the job! Really pissed me off, but I did tell tell the other tradesmen that if I even found one of their fingerprints on any of my electrical work I'd be calling in the state contractor board.

Member Spotlight
Posts: 219
Joined: February 2013
Show All Member Profiles 

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.014s Queries: 14 (0.002s) Memory: 0.8081 MB (Peak: 0.9814 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-04-28 23:43:20 UTC