ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
This troubleshoot took a little longer than most! Customer had some living room outlets that were dead.... checked all the boxes & found electrical anarchy everywhere I went! [Linked Image] yet didn't actually find the fault until I pulled out the tone tracer & lost signal above the fireplace mantle... opened the wall & found that mice or something chewed the romex & it had melted together! (& the breaker never tripped! [Linked Image] ) The rest of the stuff just needs to go!
The riser pic is another one where So Cal Edison attached to a plumbing vent after a tree fell & left their riser kinked & at a 45° angle! [Linked Image] in 1978!!!!

Enjoy!
Randy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good Grief Randy!,
I've seen some badly deteriorated wiring in my time, but that lot really takes the cake.
lost signal above the fireplace mantle... opened the wall
Opening the wall is a bit of an understatement, Randy!. [Linked Image]
That riser pic is a shocker, it's a woder the cables haven't faulted since.
And you'd think they could have at least come back and fixed things up.
I mean 26 years is a pretty poor turn-around for good service and customer relations.......
BTW, Randy, what is that small twin core wire in the pic, where your hole in the wall next to the fireplace is?.

{Message edited to add last question.}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-15-2004).]

P
A plastic box with AC cable, that makes for good work. It looks as though whoever installed this knew there was no EGC and tried to alter this with an additional EGC. If this customer was/is an unsuspecting type, than it is a shame that this has existed this long. Unfortunately, it looks as though they may not have too much money and may have suffered through this for a while. They are very lucky to have the result be that Randy got there. It is good for us as well ...we get some good photos [Linked Image]

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Mike wrote:

Opening the wall is a bit of an understatement, Randy!

LOL Mike.. the wall was already soft from moisture seepage through cracks arounf the fireplace.. I pushed it a bit & it broke right through! [Linked Image] The twin core is for speakers..

Pierre, Im with you on this stuff being like this for wayyyyy to long! They don't seem to be poor financially, although the HO is on disability right now.. They've lived here since 1966 & the home is paid for.. I'm trying to talk home improvement loan with them to get everything corrected.. Im afraid of what else might be buried in those walls along with the obvious amateur work, so I'm kinda hinting rewire at them!

-Randy

Waddaya mean rewire, Randy? This place has already been rewired! [Linked Image]
Look, they even added extra insulation in the 4-0 box (9th pic) [Linked Image]

electure wrote:

Look, they even added extra insulation in the 4-0 box

LMAO Scott... You wouldn't want those wire to get too cold now would you! [Linked Image] It was only about 150°F in that attic when I took the pics! [Linked Image] You'd know, Pomona isn't known for cool summer temperatures! (This was walking distance from the LA County fairgrounds for all who're familiar with So California)...

-Randy

E
Let it burn. Yuck!

T
I guess that's why NYC requires MC cable...rodents...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard