Here we have some creative use of duct tape to insulate brittle conductors, the neutrals were taped together & failed causing partial power to the rest of the house,... The romex was found under a sink, HOT!, formerly going to a garbage disposal.. The switch for it was the combo duct tape thingy you see here.. switch was on when I arrived.. FPE Breakers fell right outta the box when I removed the remnants of duct tape holding the dead front on.. open KO in the back of the can w/o connector... Pool light switch swinging in the breeze.. Recommended new service, & at least a partial rewire due to the deteriorating rubber insulated romex & lack of grounding...
Dern Skippy! Friggin duct tape couldn't have held out till after Memorial Day?? I ended up replacing about 10 outlets in this place! GFI to replace the duct tape thing here at the kitchen counter, yanked that damn hazard from under the sink, fed through the GFI to the rest of the circuit so I could use 3 prong outlets..(P&S needs to start putting more "no equiptment ground" stickers with these things!)
Don't laugh -- I've seen extension cords twisted and spliced together with regular Scotch tape.
Me too! And not only once. I've even seen twisted wires taped with Scotch tape and buried in plaster!
Anyway, the most ingenious wiring device I've ever seen is the homebrew US 6-way Y-extension cord. I'm sure all of the US members are familiar with those flimsy dollar-store 16AWG (or maybe even 18) zip cord 3-way extensions. Several people I know too 2 such beasts, cut the cords in half, spliced the end with the plug to the 2 ends with the trailing sockets and mounted everything on a wall with some scotch tape or in the another case nailed it to the kitchen wall paneling.