ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 369 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#116753 04/21/04 02:26 PM
B
Bjarney Offline OP
[Linked Image]

We don't dig the Zippo's out too often. Except when we are making major boiler parts it's like shooting a groundhog with an elephant gun. The oxyacetelyne torches make enough heat for most of the work. And we just restored a machine that will bend up to 5/8th boiler plate cold, so we use them even less.

The pictures are of some of the wrenches that we have made for various jobs. 2" to 7". The apparatus in the bottom of the pictures are the oxygen bottle racks for the Zippo's.
[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

T
OK, you got the wrenches covered. Do you have to make your own bolts? What in the world needs a wrench that size? I thought they used rivets on bridges.

Broom Pusher and
Trainwire (Steve),

What do you guys use to cut Rail - an Oxy-Acetylene Cutting Rig, or do you cut with Saws?

Also, what size (code) Rail is commonly used on your Main Lines? Code 83 or larger/smaller?

Has your Company decided to upgrade Main Track Rail to CWR, or is it still Jointed?

Lastly, does your Company have any Shay type Locomotives?

It's been awhile since discussing R.R. stuff with 'ya, so feel free to reply with a bunch of information.
[Linked Image]
Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
D
MAN!

Y'all got some BIG NUTS over there [Linked Image] !!

(The kind you use wrenches on you perverts!) [Linked Image]

Your pics remind me of some of my Dad's photos from his days at General Motors / Electromotive Division (they build railroad locomotives).

Talk about a SHOP!

T
Uh, lesee.

When you get into that size of hardware, the local "True Value" is usually out of stock. So we make them. The other thing is that by the time you get to that size, the bolts most of the time have a taper to them, 1/16" to the foot or so, and they are made for the specific hole, and then driven home with an air hammer ( and not one of those things they use to knock muuflers off [Linked Image] ), the taper actually holds the bolt in place and the nut just keeps it from working once it's in service.

I will see if I can come up with a picture of where some of these are used.

We cut rail with an oversized gas powered abrasive cut off saw. Like you see the fire dept use. It has a clamp that goes over the rail, so you can get a straight cut and control it. All of our rail here is at least 90 lbs to the yard, and most of it is 114. Our locomotives are 10 tons to the axle, and lighter rail protests. Since we use "relay" rail, it is jointed, and for what we are trying to do, the "clickity clack" is part of the atmosphere of the place.

ThinkGood, we use a lot of rivets too. Heat em up with electricity. We have this antique gizmatron with copper jaws that works in the same way as the worlds largest soldering iron. Takes about 6 seconds to heat a 1" x 6" steel rivet to white hot and sparking.

Sorry Scott, fresh out of Shay's. There are a few cadavers across the street in the museum, but they are long dead. Lots of noise and commotion, not much movement.

I will try to get some picutres later today.

TW

[This message has been edited by Trainwire (edited 04-23-2004).]

T
We have this antique gizmatron with copper jaws that works in the same way as the worlds largest soldering iron.

How big are the spools of solder?

Goodness--you could make the worlds largest circuit board with that thing.

M
And what kind of current does this "gizmatron" demand ??

S
Probably about as much current that can pass through a Stab-Lock breaker without causing it to trip... [Linked Image]
Edited to fxi me abd speeling

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 04-23-2004).]

T
If it's turned up all the way about 75@240v.
no it's not a stab lock. Sq D QO.

TW

J
Could someone post some links that explain what you do Trainwire? I saw your photo next to what looks like a mini-steam engine. Is that a real steam engine? I could search (and will if no one responds) but I have a feeling I'd have to sort through alot, and I'm on my way to bed right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard