ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
MRI LED lights dimmer control replacement - wow!
by Potseal. 01/19/18 08:52 PM
VDE 0100 to introduce AFCIs
by sparky. 01/19/18 08:03 PM
Video: Inventor of the GFCI self-testing shocks
by Bill Addiss. 01/17/18 11:11 PM
FPE in Germany
by HotLine1. 01/17/18 07:07 PM
Fujifilm Recalls Power Adapter Wall Plugs
by Admin. 01/16/18 07:04 PM
New in the Gallery:
Housebilding DIY wiring
SE cable question
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Our Old House - 1920s #114054
12/19/02 11:18 PM
12/19/02 11:18 PM
Admin  Offline
OP
Administrator
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,481
NY, USA
Posted for Remarked:

[Linked Image]
One of the newer outlets. Has open ground. Upper rats nest of wiring apparently added later, leads to an outside light.

[Linked Image]
Close up of improvised wiring. Other wiring in the house looks older but more professional

[Linked Image]
Most plugs in the house look like this. Metal housing, two holes. We think this is an example of the oldest wiring.

[Linked Image]
More recent but still old? Metal housing, three-hole outlet but has open ground.

[Linked Image]
Close up of wire at "open-ground.jpg" Most of the visible house wiring is of this type.

[Linked Image]
Typical of the light switches in the house.

Pictures are are from the 1920's house BEFORE any electrical work has been done. AFTER hasn't happened yet. I am looking forward to the critique.

Remarked

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 12-19-2002).]

Tools for Electricians:
Re: Our Old House - 1920s #114055
12/20/02 12:15 AM
12/20/02 12:15 AM
C
classicsat  Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 456
I'd have to say mid 50s/early mid 60s.

There may be a ground in those thar wires,
but the original an subsequent "handymen" never used them.

Re: Our Old House - 1920s #114056
12/20/02 12:26 AM
12/20/02 12:26 AM
G
ga.sparky56  Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 558
young harris georgia usa
It looks as though the original installation was probably as good as could be done at the time.I see this a lot here.The wiring original to the house is safer than the add-on.

Re: Our Old House - 1920s #114057
12/20/02 06:22 AM
12/20/02 06:22 AM
S
sparky  Offline
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,343
the walls are open, now's the time....

Re: Our Old House - 1920s #114058
12/20/02 08:16 AM
12/20/02 08:16 AM
T
Trainwire  Offline
Member
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 360
Strasburg,PA,USA
You could put a realtime camera in there, and you could do it yourself with all of us looking over your shoulder making sure it's up to snuff [Linked Image]

I'll put money on the main panel being a "range+4". I'll agree with sparky,
"now's the time"

TW

ps, love the switch that you could wire with it still fastened in the box. Put that one in the museum.

[This message has been edited by Trainwire (edited 12-20-2002).]

Re: Our Old House - 1920s #114059
12/21/02 11:44 AM
12/21/02 11:44 AM
R
rhagfo  Offline
Member
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43
Portland, OR. USA
I sure hope the way you refer to metal boxes in your captions that you don't think they are a bad thing! I prefer to use metal boxes as a home owner. Yes, they are more time consuming to use, but if you ever have a device or splice failure (smoke and fire) in a metal box it is more likely to be contained by the box. Installed properly (boxes grounded) any loose hot conductor will short out to the box and trip the breaker.
The house I live in now was build in 1968, we purchased in 98 from original owners. In the process of replacing light fixtures I came across some scorched wires in the ceiling box in the closet. Metal box was discolored , and the insolation on the wire was toast in the box. I went in the attic and found some slack in the cables, enough to cut off about 4" of bad cable and make new connections.

Re: Our Old House - 1920s #114060
12/23/02 09:17 AM
12/23/02 09:17 AM
S
sabrown  Offline
Member
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 302
Ogden, Utah, USA
I have an receptacle sitting on my monitor from my grandma's house in which the heat disapation properties of the metal box probably saved her house from burning down (a loose AL wire connection or glowing fault).

Re: Our Old House - 1920s #114061
12/23/02 11:52 PM
12/23/02 11:52 PM
S
spkjpr  Offline
Member
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 218
Sedalia,MO, USA
According to a book I have called "Old Electric Wiring" by Shapiro,around WWII NM had a cloth cover but the wires were encased in plastic. The old switch is common to the houses we have here that date back to the 30-40's.Another interesting note from the book is that 3 prong devices were available in the 20's but it took nearly 50 years for them to be in common use. A copper ground cond was also required as far back as 1928 but was not always used according to this book.

[This message has been edited by spkjpr (edited 12-23-2002).]

Re: Our Old House - 1920s #114062
12/24/02 12:16 AM
12/24/02 12:16 AM
S
SvenNYC  Offline
Member
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,691
New York City
Re. metal boxes vs. plastic boxes:

I prefer metal also. Plastic boxes break very easily. One slip with a hammer and it's splinters all over the place.

Also, if you use metal-clad cable, it also becomes part of the ground system along with the green conductor inside the armor.


Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
BEAMEUP
BEAMEUP
WA
Posts: 27
Joined: December 2004
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 20
sparky 16
Potseal 15
Popular Topics(Views)
243,560 Are you busy
180,361 Re: Forum
170,838 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.020s Queries: 14 (0.004s) Memory: 1.0019 MB (Peak: 1.1658 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-01-20 07:21:38 UTC