Here are some photos of a temporary power panel at a commercial construction site. Spotted these on the way to breakfast this morning. It appears that they have a welder "buzz box" on the job that they didn't have the correct receptacle for. But as I took a closer look, there is also a standard extension cord connected in the same manner as the welder. Note the blue masking tape used to insulate the connections. I wonder if the hookup has proper GFI protection??!!
So what's the ampacity of 10AWG in free air? Reminds me of the last time I was in Romania. No body could afford plugs for the cords, just strip the end of the wire, jam the wire in the outlet, and keep it there with a piece of wood whittled down to fit into the hole. Trainwire
I almost feel some sympathy for the welder. The man only wants to hook up his welding machine, and we present him with an infinite variety of plugs; he doesn't know if he's going to use a dryer plug, or a stove plug, or tie onto a bus bar. It's also unfair to expect him to carry every type of circuit breaker, for every different panel out there! I'm really not surprised to find some very creative wiring on the part of the welding profession! Apart from crying "egads!," does anyone have any suggestions as to how the code, and manufacturers, can make things safer for the welder? Or, do we expect him to also supply a generator- and use it indoors?
I know of a insulation contractor around here that goes to jobs, takes off the panel cover. Drags out his extension cord (awg #10) and hooks it to the main lugs of the panel above the main by means of big alligator clips. Talk about potential injuries!...........Brian
ZR: I've had a situation similar to that happen to me. There used to be a guy around here that installed urethane roofs on buildings, for which he needed a source of power. His power cable was a roughly 100 ft. length of ratty-looking #2 SER with UNINSULATED alligator clips on the end. I came home from work one day and found this mess connected to the main disco (line side, of course) on the side of my house. He was installing a roof on a building next door to me, and had not even asked permission to tap into my service! After I finished chewing him out, I called the police, then called a friend of mine who worked for the POCO to bring his gloves and disconnect this foolishness. I assessed him a fee for using my service, which he paid on the spot, then he picked up his equipment and went away.
I haven't seen him since. He probably electrocuted himself out of business.