ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#111760 02/14/07 01:13 PM
Cat Servant
Part of my business is doing electrical repairs for property management firms. Often, between tenants, minor repairs are necessary.

Several years ago, I found that someone had added a light to a small closet under the stairs:

[Linked Image]

As you can see, a cord was run from a receptacle, through a hole in the stair riser:

[Linked Image]

On a recent return, I found that the light I had removed had been replaced:

[Linked Image]

Rather than a light, they mounted a receptacle. The black wire you see is stereo wire; the lighter wire is the 6' pigtail feeding the receptacle:

[Linked Image]

(Sorry for the poor resolution) Also, please note that the pigtail plugs into a power strip mounted on the stairs:

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#111761 02/14/07 02:17 PM
B
Is the receptacle above the stairs the only one in the vicinity? If so, it isn't surprising that tenants are finding creative ways to get power elsewhere in the room. Can you convince the property management firm to add a few new receptacles? Maybe that would keep "creative wiring" such as this from reappearing in the future.

#111762 02/14/07 07:14 PM
E
"But the man at Home Depot told me he was giving me everything that I needed".

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
#111763 02/14/07 08:58 PM
C
It's absolutely amazing that this would happen in rental property.

Peter
#111764 02/14/07 09:07 PM
Cat Servant
Brian, the other receptacle in this basement is located just about where I stood while taking the picture.

The receptacle in the stairwell is fed from the next room, where someone added several -surface mounted romex, concealed by pegboard- over a workbench that they built.
(I have let these remain).

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 02-14-2007).]

#111765 02/14/07 10:28 PM
Being devils advocate, at least they didn't hardwire it. If you run fast enough before the stairs burn, you could pull the plug while running out! [Linked Image]

#111766 02/15/07 09:06 AM
B
Brian, the other receptacle in this basement is located just about where I stood while taking the picture.
Still not enough. (I'm assuming this is residential property.) What will a tenant have in this basement room? TV? Stereo? Computer? Mini-fridge? Extra lamps? I wonder how many extension cords are typically used here. [Linked Image]

This seems typical of rentals, though. The landlords don't want to spend money on upgrades (unless they can raise the rent), and tenants aren't going to pay for any needed updates, as they consider that to be the responsibility of the landlords.

#111767 02/15/07 12:54 PM
Cat Servant
How will the basement be used? That's the big question.

This place is well over 50 years old. In many areas, it does not comply with current codes. There's a ceiling, a coat of plaster on the walls, and a vinyl tile floor, so I suppose that makes it a 'finished basement,' therefore 'habitable,' so the 'six foot rule' ought to apply.

Oddly enough, the owner has another interest in keeping the basement simple. For a variety of other code reasons .... egress, stairway design, zoning, etc .... the room has been left alone, as a way to discourage its' being used as a bedroom. Indeed, that was the exact reason for the eviction of the prior tenants; they had turned the place into a dope/den, flop house for all their friends.

A note about the owners: they are in their 60's, and have done well in life. This, and a few other homes in the neighborhood, were their childhood homes. While they live in newer homes in town, they have lots of happy memories in this house.

Link Copied to Clipboard