Here's some more pics for the group... They just keep getting better!
Enclosed are pics from a "no power" call i went to today... the "home" owner informed me that her daughter went to use the microwave & the whole place went down... I asked were her pedestal was & she led me to the broken thing shown below... I followed the orange cord which went in & out of a fence until I found the end. Upon movement of the cord, a large blue flame & cloud of smoke occured at which point I informed her.. "You're probably not getting power back tonight." I also informed her how lucky she was to still have what she considered "home", not to mention her life! The only CB & disconnect I could find for this mess was a 40A 2pole at the meter board about 300 feet away.... the 50A 240V cord, plugged into that adapter, into the orange cord, into the NEMA 5-15 outlet in the broken pullcan on a 40A CB ran a single-wide mobile home for 3 years according to her! But all of this will make perfect sense to our Southern California members when informed this mess was in none other than beautiful Compton, California!
Here I thought these things had to be permitted & inspected upon setup everywhere!
Tim, I still can't fathom someone actually MAKING that adapter! I took it with me to keep what Joe T. would refer to as "Unqualified Persons" from attempting to reconnect this mess(at least very easily).. The lady called SCE (PoCo)before she called us & they arrived about 2 mins after I did... They were just coming around the corner when that extension cord went ballistic with sparks & they jumped about 10 feet in the air! Luckily I yanked the connection loose fast! The connection was under a bunch of dry leaves in the first place!
#108512 - 04/08/0405:01 AMRe: Mobile Home Connection
"DIY"ers here can't even get an extension cord right! (Not that I'd use one for this, period) Imagine the person who did this, now coming into the "color change" thats happening in your neck of the woods! ANARCHY!
With the ground pin missing on the male end of the extension cord, I get chills thinking about a short lighting up the entire exterior of that mobile home! mom & 2 kids there!