This is some open wiring on a light pole I saw a few days ago at a local Home Depot. It was raining, so I took some pictures and brought it to the attention of the manager. As you can see from one of the pictures, the light is energized.
Time to venture a guess for this one.... As the handhole cover is visable in the pic, and it appears to be daytime, and the wiring is "pulled-out" in somewhat of a neat & orderly manner.......I have to say that someone is probable working on the pole lights. They may have stopped for lunch or a rain break, or be in another area
Or worse yet...they may have called it a day...based on the rain!
IS THIS 'RIGHT'???? NO!, but it's becoming a more prevelant 'work ethic'.
#108326 - 05/03/0401:49 AMRe: Hazardous Pole Light
John, More times than not, on a cloudy gloomy day, I'll see outside lighting "on" because the photo eye controlling the lighting contactor isn't getting enough light to turn things off... I WANT to believe someone is working on these... Dave, did you notice if any of the other poles were opened or not? If all the pole lights were functioning, why would someone be working on them? Possible someone DID work on them & failed to "finish" their job! Wet 480V conductors out in the rain... Whoever left this in this manner need to be slapped upside the head! All it takes is a kid to come along & yank on one of those! (Ive actually seen a kid screwing around in a handhole when his parent weren't paying attention to him, putting their other kids in their carseats.. Of course I told him & them they may want point these things out as "NOT PLAYTHINGS!" Sheesh!
Dave, Im glad to hear you pointed this out to the store management ... Hopefully he follows through with rectifying this! At least the store could send out one of their experienced "Pro's" to put this back together...
#108327 - 05/03/0405:12 PMRe: Hazardous Pole Light
This was an early morning photo on a dreary, misty day. IMO the photosensors were working normally. The close pictures were lit by the flash. The electrician (to use the term very loosely) must have a different definition of a break because it had been like this for at least three days! I didn't see any other open covers.
#108328 - 05/03/0407:15 PMRe: Hazardous Pole Light
I remember about ten, maybe twelve years ago a young child was electrocuted to death at a McDonald's on Bruckner Blvd. in the Bronx. It was the same situation with open or missing covers at the base of the parking lot light poles. We were hired to correct the problems, after the fact unfortunately.
#108329 - 05/03/0409:24 PMRe: Hazardous Pole Light
I just saw a carbon copy of this at another orange box store closer to my company's main office.. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera.... I basically told the store manager "How can I expect you guys to work on my house & do things right, when you can't even keep your own parking lot safe????"