ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
Recent Posts
VFD MotorFeeders
by gfretwell. 10/19/17 01:02 AM
Generator Cable Sizing
by brsele. 10/18/17 07:39 PM
What do you do?
by gfretwell. 10/17/17 01:08 AM
Good ol' copper pipe in the fuse holder trick
by HotLine1. 10/16/17 07:16 PM
Another generator question
by HotLine1. 10/16/17 07:02 PM
New in the Gallery:
Gallery Test
Popular Topics(Views)
241,420 Are you busy
177,393 Re: Forum
168,991 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#10809 - 06/18/02 10:29 PM I'm done with doing favors  
Electric Eagle  Offline
Alpharetta, GA
I tried to do a guy a favor and it comes back to bite me in the ass. A fairly new contractor asked me to wire a small project, but when the estimate was given he didn't have anywhere near the budget($600). He convinced me that he was capable of wiring, but needed a permit. I told him as long as he did exactly what I told him and let me inspect the work, I would pull the permit after I looked at it. He did as I told him and made a few minor corrections. Then the day I was to get the permit he calls and needs to add a 30 amp 220 outlet for HVAC. I told him I would have to do the work, it needed to be wired to the meter base disconnect and needed conduit. He couldn't wait, but after he couldn't find anyone else, I told him I would come on Saturday and I wanted ca$h. He agreed and on the friday I pull a permit for the work he did plus the 220 outlet.

On Saturday I received a call saying don't bother coming the homeowner got tired of waiting(1 day) and had someone else do it. Well, now I have a permit that includes work I didn't do or supervise. So I went to the house to look at the work that was done and it did not meet my standards. It was a little sloppy, but the biggest problem I had was that he double tapped the lugs on the 150 amp disconnect and put another disconnect on the wall. First I doubt the lugs are rated for more than one conductor, but second he mixed CU with AL.

So first thing monday morning I went to the AHJ office and had them make a note that I had nothing to do with that item and please take it off my permit. They did and told the inspector that there might be a problem. I talked to the contractor after the inspector came and found out that he didn't even look at the electrical work other than to note that the outlets were properly spaced. [Linked Image] I as much as told them to look closely and they didn't look at all.

Anyway, I've made 5 trips to the job site, 2 trips to the AHJ office and $43.50 for the permit, spent almost an hour on my cell phone, and gave the guy 2- 3" pop-in boxes. All this for $150 (I was suposed to have 2 trips to the job site plus the permit fee and nothing else). It just goes to show you no good deed goes unpunished.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#10810 - 06/18/02 11:08 PM Re: I'm done with doing favors  
wolfdog  Offline
Dallas,TX
I feel your pain. I get frequent requests to pull permits and always refuse ....except for a journeyman that needed to rebuild his service after a lightning strike. He did a good job but it was not worth the hassle.
Among other things, I called for an inspection and they were not home. That'll get you a red tag every time.

#10811 - 06/18/02 11:55 PM Re: I'm done with doing favors  
Bjarney  Offline
West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
"Tell your friends." Sometimes that's all you can do is warn others {not to make the same mistake.)

#10812 - 06/19/02 04:42 AM Re: I'm done with doing favors  
sparky  Offline
EE,
sounds like the AHJ could have backed you up a tad more than S/He did.

#10813 - 06/19/02 05:58 PM Re: I'm done with doing favors  
Electricmanscott  Offline
Holden, MA USA
Always remember "No good deed goes unpunished"

Member Spotlight
Theelectrikid
Theelectrikid
Levittown, PA
Show All Member Profiles 
Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician