ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10763 06/17/02 11:04 PM
C
I just installed a couple of these, and I am not thrilled with them at all. Why, you ask?

Well, when you tighten the wire on the pressure plate, the back of the GFI begins to bulge as the plate tries to twist its way through the cheap plastic on the back. And no, I wasn't overtightening the screw either, I was trying to get it tight enough so that I felt confident that the wire wouldn't slip out. Even with them tightened, and ready to fall apart, the wire could still be pulled out. I didn't have this problem with their older ones that were made in Mexico.

I'm not trying to bash Leviton here, as I've always used their devices, and have great luck with them. However, I dont have much confidence in these GFI's, and will consider using P+S in the future.

BTW, I purchased these at a supply house, not Home Depot. They are monochromatic and have a black case.

Has anyone else had problems with these?

Peter
P
Peter,

I can't speak for these devices specifically, but I've found that most of the stuff we get here that's made in China is built down to a price rather than up to a standard.

Be it imported electrical plugs or those cheap 99-cent pliers in the bargain basement, if it says Made in China, I give it a wide berth.

M
Hmmmm? Leave-it-on is made in Mexico ? Never noticed, before, no wonder they go for only 6.75 ea.
Guess its time to switch to Hubble. It seems to be happening more and more that you have to look really hard to find anything made in the Good ol' US of A anymore.
Of course I use Siemens and their breakers are made in Mexico, probably the tubs too.
IMO it s time for a change.
-Mark-

P
It's hard to tell where some things are made now. Since the opening of the "single European market," we're seeing a lot of fittings that just say "Made in E.U."

Link Copied to Clipboard