Various energy codes are specifying more and more "renewable" energy be used. Plus, we all know about the price of oil! So...here comes solar!
A popular "trick" of the DIY co-generator- usually some dolt who ASSUMES the utility won't "let" him make his own power- is to use such a device to feed his 'bootleg' or 'guerilla' solar into the grid.
Re: Found in a hotel in Nashville, TN#105542 03/23/0510:43 PM03/23/0510:43 PM
This is a 2005 NEC violation of 406.6 (B) Connection of Attachment Plugs. Attachment plugs shall be installed so that their prongs, blades, or pins are not energized unless inserted into an energized receptacle. No receptacle shall be installed so as to require the insertion of an energized attachment plug as its source of supply.
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Re: Found in a hotel in Nashville, TN#105544 03/24/0512:38 PM03/24/0512:38 PM
Standard type item for connecting the generator to the house during a power outage. NOT!
On a side note I know a lineman what was nearly killed when someone used one of these. During an outage a power customer in my hometown (an electrical engineering professor at our local university) plugged their generator in using this type of cord and backfed the power gird. The lineman working nearby received a shower of sparks and quite a zap. I don't know the complete specifics of how. After the incident his hair began to turn white. Do this day he has white hair. I'm not kidding. True story.
I'm not sure if he had any grounding devices in place to protect himself or was in the process of installing them. Anyway it was the talk of the town when it happened. The college electrical engineering processor definitely had his tale between his legs for some time. Luckily it wasn't manslaughter charges.
Re: Found in a hotel in Nashville, TN#105546 03/25/0510:16 AM03/25/0510:16 AM
I am unable to find any humor here since this situation could have been the cause of a serious accident!
For the record, I post these pictures here in this forum, as I have for a few years so that people will see the kinds of things thatUNQUALIFIED PERSONS do, especially those who work in and around a hotel!
I actually found this being used in the hotel where I was presenting my seminar to over 20 people this week, and when one of my students told me about this in the "restaurant" area, I pulled it out and told the manager that he could be put in jail if anyone was hurt!
I was quite serious about the generator cord. I've seen more people with these things. When I say anything people look at me like I'm nuts. And I'm serious about the injured lineman. He spent time in the hospital and his hair did turn white and still is. If people would just spend the extra cash for a transfer switch his person would not have been injured.
Joe, can you give more information on why this the hotel needed this type of 'device'. Why did they need to backfeed something? The only other time I've seen the 'need' for something like this is because someone made some type of power distribution box and was backfeeding it because they didn't purchase the proper devices to do it correctly.
I agree with you. The unqualified people have no clue about what they are doing. I n longer like to go into the electrical sections of home improvement centers because I have to overhear what some people are planning.