ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10531 06/13/02 11:13 PM
A
From sparkys thread on referals I thought I would ask and see how many jobs you residential and commercial guys have going right now (at least some slab work or rough in) and how many men you have on them. I'm glad to say were slammed and all my men are pulling over time.

16 Houses (all but two are customs), 8 duplexes, 1 restaurant, 1 6Bay Commercial Garage.
4 employees
South Georgia

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 06-13-2002).]

#10532 06/14/02 12:32 AM
Kelly Electric and Musser Electric are an unofficial co-op, (we just have agreed to take turns subbing each other for practically every job). We may make it an official partnership if it works out. Between us, just on what we consider "one job", we have the potential of 10 years worth of work as long as we can handle the jobs. And they keep dumping stuff on us at T&M for us to do landscape lighting, services/UG for traffic gates, and to come through where other EC's fail, which got us the jobs in the first place. We call all of that "one job". Add service calls, small jobs, and the housing development that I'm involved in, and us two little skinny guys are burning the candle with blow torches right now. If we could find reliable help that we didn't have to train from absolute scratch (licensed), we'd hire 'em.

= Hot!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 06-14-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#10533 06/14/02 04:27 AM
P
Well, my little part-time operation looks like small-fry by comparison.

At the moment I have one house (a neighbor's) which is part-way through a complete re-wire after extension & remodeling. One job waiting to install an outside "water feature," with pump and lights, and a bid on a complete re-wire at a house about 5 miles away. That's a big one which means I'll probably have to violate my self-imposed rule and spend 5 or 6 days a week there for a couple of weeks.

I usually just have one helper (my GC neighbor) as and when needed to help pull cables, cut into walls, fix boxes, etc.

'66: [Linked Image] I still very much like the look of WV -- Can I apply??!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-14-2002).]

#10534 06/14/02 06:33 AM
S
One man, 2 trucks...
I can 'see' into Nov. 6 houses til then, 2 custom ,some UG primary, local commercial & industrial sev calls in bettween.

I agree with 66', i'd like to hire a license, especially as a 'sub'. The prob is all the subs i know are busy....i would feel obligated to keep an employee busy yr round only due to having been given the 'seeyainthespring' handshake as my Xmas bonus too many times.......

#10535 06/14/02 08:08 AM
H
1 Van - 3 Men - 1 builder
One finished basement, 2 finishes coming within weeks, two new roughs by August and if I have anything to do with it more clients SOON!

66 - we are licensed in Ohio...probably doesn't help you out much, eh? Of course, I guess you are looking for an employee...

[This message has been edited by Happi_Man (edited 06-14-2002).]

#10536 06/14/02 08:53 PM
3 vans, 1 bucket (55'), 5 men +
1 mini-golf; 1 comm (29KSf)
1 lot (16 poles); 1 lot 8 poles
1 comm (18KSf); 1 lot 7 poles
1 comm (27KSf)
Service calls (oh yea)
Service Contract (oh yea)
9 strip malls (steady service & repairs)
& referals
Here in New Jersey

John

John
#10537 06/14/02 10:11 PM
J
jo Offline
John

how did you go about landing thoes strip-mall contracts.

#10538 06/14/02 10:42 PM
M
I don't know how you guys do it!

We're having a really, really slow year. Even the supply house is complaining.

Been in business 10 years last month.
(2) vans (1) Bucket truck (40') (2) employees
(4) Light pole to replace
(1) Small store remodel
Very little service calls
Overhead still the same
Having trouble making a decent living.

I wouldn't mind working with "the other 66" But we're just too far away. We're licensed in WV. The light pole job is at the Mountaineer Mall in Morgantown. It will be our first job in WV.

[This message has been edited by master66 (edited 06-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by master66 (edited 06-14-2002).]

#10539 06/15/02 05:53 AM
Broom Pusher and
We are swamped with projects!!! 99.9999% of them are with two very popular Financial Corporations [Banks] out here in California.

From ATMs [new ones and / or upgrades, plus Kiosks], thru CCTV / Security systems designing / installs, to complete branch projects [new / T.I. and remodel], the company is very busy.

There's over 45 people [including me] in the company, and 1/3 of them are in the field sparkys [Electricians]. Most of the employees in the remaining 2/3 are General Construction persons, and there's around 10 or so in the office[s] or doing something other than in-the-field work [surveys, designs, etc.].
When we need some labor, the local temp pool is just perfect. Have seen some good workers come from the pool! Some of them have been working with our company for close to 2 years!

As for me, I have been bouncing between all extremes! From CCTV installs, to full T.I. project installs, to pre install surveys, to systems designs, to progect management, to bidding, to being one of the best darned broom pushers around! [a legend in my own mind ... joke].

Looks like the surveys will continue 'till around July for me, which keeps me very busy at home and also keeps me bouncing to and from Northern California [via Airlines - not driving!!! only drive locals or within 150 miles].

There's 4 of us in the company which are Project Management jokers. I have an option to move up north and head up the Northern Ca. office[s] for Electrical P.M., Foreman of Electricians and Electrical Designing.

Exactly one year ago today, I was doing Project Management, designing, specs, site superintendant [or stupid-intend-dent...hee hee] and such for a GC which I had worked with for eons [eons being close to 20 years], and which my father had sub'ed with since 1961.
Thought things were going my way for once... until [some unpleasantness] occured on September 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th.

Looking back, that [unpleasantness] was the best thing that could have ever happened to me!
Left a Company of extreme politics, s**t talking, envy, buck passing, blame placing, yelling owner, headaches 24/7/365, and no possibility to advance or consider it a career company-, to end up with a career company! Fate sure works in mysterious ways!

This story has been told here before, so please pardon the redundancy.

P.S., how many others in the forum are involved with P.M. / surveys / designs also?
Might make a nice thread [hint hint hint].

Aww heck, I'll start one later [maybe [Linked Image]].

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#10540 06/15/02 06:04 AM
S
Scott,
been busy huh? we were wondering were you been, go start a thread & shake it up some...... [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard