ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[Linked Image]

Rules in Article 300 and 314 can be discussed here. Which ones are they?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Gwz Offline
Assuming the lower opened box is for the viewing of the wiring for the picture and the flex contains an EGC , I do not see a violation.
See 314.22.

Since the Flex is for flexibility in this installation, It must have an EGC , 350.60.

An extension box could have been added to all of the flush mounted boxes and the LFMC could have connected to a KO in the side of the extension box(es), then the cover would have been ' just a cover'.

Looks like it could be a 'damp' location.

B
Now I've seen it all...a double-wide trailer house with concrete floor joists! ;-)

S
What is the location or this installatiion? What exactly is being wired here? I mainly do residential work and have never come across anything like this.

J
It looks like its fire alarm wiring, due to the FA written on the top of the cover. I am not sure if it is a local code or not but we had to spray paint all the box covers red for fire alarm work

I
Looks like a parking structure to me.

I would put money on water filling each of the LFMCs

Interesting use of Dry location covers with LFMC.

Looks shorter then 36", so no support 350.30 (A) Exc 2

The covers look like standard 4" round blanks which have a keyhole slot and a straight slot.

I think that is a violation of 314.22 Exception

"cover is designed so it is unlikely to fall off or be removed if it becomes loose"

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I thought so too, because of the FA marked on the box.

This was taken at the Dallas Airport parking deck at street level, and I agree that it can be considered as a Damp Location.

I was looking for the rule that poined out that the attachment screws should not allow the cover to fall off as shown.

I did not remove the cover. I was also looking for the 3 inch rule beyond the edge of the ring to be considered whenever an extension ring is installed per 300.14.

I too agree that the best way to avoid a problem is to come out of the side of the extension box.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
In my opinion, if this is a fire alarm circuit, painting the entire assembly (conduit and boxes) a bright red, like JCooper said, is much more effective than simply marking the box covers "FA."

The painters that will someday work on this ceiling (this is a ceiling, right?) will probably not even try to avoid painting over those box covers thereby covering up the "FA."

J
Other technicians in my company have been failed because they did not have red covers on the boxs, it also makes the service guy's life a bit easier because all FA splice boxes are rather easy to find. And the red covers keep those pesky electricians from snagging them.....

Link Copied to Clipboard