ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 192 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102435 02/23/06 07:53 PM
T
teck_ed Offline OP
A friend of mine has al wiring in his home. His insurance co. told him he needs to get a certified electrician to give him a writen certificate stating that his wiring is ok. Anyone hear of this and how do you deal with it? your comments would be appreciated.

#102436 02/24/06 01:32 PM
here is some reading for you,. http://www.safetyauthority.ca/bcsa_pdf_files/The_Facts_About_Aluminum_Wiring_In_The_Home.pdf

You could try and find an AMP certified copalum installer that can use a special crimping die to terminate into copper or a house rewire. I am trying to shy from these types of jobs as it seems all liability will fall onto the contractor.

Edited to Add link

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 02-24-2006).]

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 06-16-2006).]

#102437 03/05/06 06:45 PM
Y
Aluminum wiring as a bad reputation because when it was used in the early 70's we did not for see any of the problems that have arisen since then. As an electrical contractor I have seen lots of premises wired in aluminum wire and have had no significant problems. on the other handI have see some wiring faults tha have causdfires in outlet boxes cusd by oxidized connections. I have found a way to see if you have any bad or sparking connections in aluminum wiring. You need to find one of the old style vaccuum tube radio's, if you plug it in to a receptacle in the house you are checking, turn it to an am. station and see if you are getting alot of crackling or static. If you have crackling it is a sign of poor and arcing splices. You can find which circuits are causing the problem by turning of circuits until the crackling is reduced. Note this will not identify all problems but will go along way to helping you determine if there is any major problems. Good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard