ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101753 02/24/03 06:08 PM
R
RobbieD Offline OP
Sorry I meant question about CEC 12-116(1)

Hello it's me again. I hope that alot more Canadians use this site because its really good. Well my question is about binder head screws.CEC 12-116(1) I was talking to someone at work about terminating stranded copper wire at the binder head screw of a receptacle. I know that for solid conductors this is no problem. I thought that if the wire was stranded you had to use special training washers to hold the strands together under the screw head,(to confine them). Is this a general practice or does nobody do it? Now this is what the book I have said,(Electrical Code Simplified by PS Knight).It said to use training washers is a general practice. I looked in the CSA CE Handbook and it doesn't really give a great description of the rule it just says basically make sure the strands are not all frayed sticking out of the screw head beacuse it could cause a short or a ground. Makes sense to me also! Well I have one book saying the use of training washers is general practice, and the CE Handbook not really saying much about it except keep the termination looking nice. Does anyone out there have their thoughts on CEC 12-116(1)? Basically I am wondering traing washers for stranded wire or not.
Thanks!

[This message has been edited by RobbieD (edited 02-24-2003).]

#101754 02/24/03 11:29 PM
E
How the strands are kept under control is a "workmanship" issue. It is left up to the individual electrician.

In some cases the construction of the equipment terminal, and/or the instructions supplied with it will apply.

For # 12 (7 strand) on receptacles, all I have ever done is twist the strands tight with my side-cutters, and proceed as if it was solid.

Ed

#101755 02/25/03 12:49 AM
F
may i suggested the idea how i did with stranded wires what i do is i strip the insluation cover off little longer than useall ( normal) then twist the straid the OPPISTIE drection and make it tight then bend the same way as solid conducters btw it will grip very tight

just my thougt to help others

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#101756 02/25/03 08:20 PM
C
Another suggestion a little more expensive but works good when using standed wire.

Use a Spec. Grade device. they have clamps to secure the wire rather than try and twist around a terminal screw. Much more secure.

Same situation if your using #12 AWG wire, the terminal screws on a standard device do not tighten down very good on #12.

Remember whenever the device is used there is a small amount of heat generated at connection points, therefore there is expansion, when it cools the tension on the wire may not be the same and over time.... Loose connection and well... who knows.

Just my two cents

#101757 02/26/03 05:28 PM
R
RobbieD Offline OP
Thanks for your input Guys!

Link Copied to Clipboard