ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Just found out today that:

According to TSSA "Unless a person is qualified to work on GAS an electrician cannot wire up a fuel trane" (ie. industrial burner assembly)

We have been wiring fuel tranes as part of our industrial installations for 19 - 20 years and submitting for Electrical Inspection.

Based on this information i guess there will be some GAS Fitter out there (without electrical licence or qualifications) doing this work in the near future?

I also assume to guess that ESA will be losing out on Inspection Fees for this also?

Any comments or suggestions of whom to file complaint would be greatly appreciated.

This is/has been a substantial $ of our company's work. (wiring of not maitaining or setting up)

T
John,

This is news to me.

An electrician not qualified to wire fuel fired appliances?

I don't believe it.

We have and continue to provide Product Approvals to the electrical portions of fuel fired equipment through Special Inspection when the electrics are not certified by a NRTL.

There are no changes there.

As well, when electrical equipment in cabinets separate from the fuel fired equipment and wiring for power and Class 1 and Class 2 control circuits which is field installed is not considered an integral part of the fuel fired equipment, this will be subject to inspection and approval by the Electrical Safety Authority.

What I would do is ask to speak with the Chief Inspector of the Fuels Safety Branch at TSSA for proper clarification.

They can be reached at:

Technical Standards & Safety Authority
4th Floor, West Tower, 3300 Bloor Street West
Toronto, Ontario Canada M8X 2X4
Tel: 416-325-2000
Toll-Free (outside Toronto): 1-877-682-8772

C
Thank you for quick reply.

Will call first thing in morning.

The news came from a project manager of one of our clients. They do the start up portion of the equipment (usually industrial ovens) and all the set up of Burners and such.

Due to the new (sort of) regulations, they all are getting Certification for this work from TSSA.

They were told that who ever works on the above mentioned must be TSSA Certified. This includes the wiring of.

It is now created a situation with their bosses and a concern that we (Electrician’s) will not be able to wire the devices.

There is a concern with regards to Liability Insurance.

Anyhow, I will call in morning.

PS:I guess this all has to do with the privatization, which is going on. Legislation is often written in an open and usually unrealistic manner.

Link Copied to Clipboard