ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Notice

Effective January 1, 2003 GFCI Protection will be Required for
Kitchen Counter Receptacles

The 2002 edition of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code includes an Ontario amendment to Rule 26-700,
which requires Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) protection for Kitchen Counter receptacles
effective January 1, 2003.

The new Subrule (26-700(12) states that effective January 2003:

(12) Receptacles located in kitchens and installed within 1 m of a kitchen sink along the wall
behind counter work surfaces shall be protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter of the Class A
type.

Appendix B note: Distance of 1 m is measured from edge of kitchen sink.

The following guidelines shall be used for consistent interpretation and application of this new subrule
effective January 1, 2003.

1. This rule applies to all receptacle installations located within 1 m of a kitchen sink along the wall behind
counter work surfaces where the plans or application for inspection is received on or after January 1, 2003

2. This rule applies to all kitchens.

2.1. Kitchen is defined as “a place (as a room) with cooking facilities”

2.2. A cooking facility is defined as a range or stove (electric or gas supply) for cooking. Hot plates,
microwaves, etc are not defined as a cooking facility for application of this rule.

3. In dwelling units, Rules 26-712(d) and 26-722(b) require that kitchen counter receptacles be split
receptacles connected to multi-wire 15 amp branch circuits. Rule 26 -726 permits the installation of 5-20
RA (T-slot) receptacles connected to single 20 amp branch circuits as an alternative to split receptacles and
circuits. In both cases adjacent receptacles shall not be connected to the same branch circuit.

Receptacles that are located on either side of a kitchen sink shall not be considered as adjacent for the
application of this requirement and can be connected to the same branch circuit when applying this new
rule.

If you have any questions regarding this directive, please contact your local Technical Advisor (whose
name and number is listed in your bulletins).

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority
© Electrical Safety Authority - 2002

Z
So we have to provide multiwire (split) GFCI recepticals within 1m of the sink??

Double pole GFCI's aren't cheap

S
Zack..... read the code again...

'Rule 26 -726 permits the installation of 5-20 RA (T-slot) receptacles connected to single 20 amp branch circuits as an alternative to split receptacles and
circuits.'

Simply use a single 12-2 run and use a single 20amp GFCI breaker or plug and, as the code states, you only need ONE GFI as you can tandem the 20Amp feed and put a receptacle on either side of the sink.

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 12-13-2002).]

S
You can also buy 20 amp T-slot GFCI
receptacles from Leviton. I believe they cost about $25

SamC

G
If this is the case for areas used for cooking does that mean you still run split receptacles around a counter in a refreshment area where no stove is present but microwaves and hot plates are?

S
I didn't know you could get 125volt/20 amp "T-Slot" receptacles in Canada?

I always thought Canadian 5-20 sockets were designed to only accept 20-amp plugs, not 15?

At least that's the impression I got from a DIY book I have at home....(yes I know lots of those DIY books are mighty suspect [Linked Image] )

Can someone set me straight on this?

G
Yes you can purchase T slot receptacles in Canada it is not common mainly because of the cost in comparision to the 15 amp receptacles.

J
What about a combination of 20 amp and split 15 amp. How do you figure how many of each?

Link Copied to Clipboard