ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Just drill a hole and tap a 10-32 and install a ground screw in the plastic.....................................................

Just Kidding I did work for a shop where we had a guy do just this with all the plastic nail on boxes. He spent the whole doing it. He was let go the next day.

Anyway, sounds like a good install to me, unless there is a grounding tail in the fixture for the electronics.

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Originally Posted by Obsaleet

Just drill a hole and tap a 10-32 and install a ground screw in the plastic...
As long as the screw was green. smile

Last edited by sparkyinak; 02/15/08 10:25 PM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
I got the idea that the AHJ wanted the armor of the MC bonded per 314.3 and suggested it would work with a bonding bushing as per 314.3 ex2.

Greg Fretwell
T
heres an update.

I had this inspector out at this location on a different inspection and we got to talk about the MC cable and the exit/emergency light combos. I through out some big words like 'intergrated wiring compartments' and told how it is bonded at the j-box where the MC originated from just a few feet away. All he asked was if the unit was UL listed, and then said it was an 'OK' install.

Not much explination on the original violation other than he was concerned about bonding. I'm kinda thinking he wanted to meet me and let me know who the boss was....

So... MC to a 'intigrated wiring compartment' is a good install.

Shake n Bake
Cat Servant
I'm glad the matter was resolved.

I've noticed the lack of a ground wire terminal on exit signs as well. I've also puzzled over the presence of a ground wire terminal on plastic junction boxes.

While some wiring methods always have a ground wire (NM, MC, etc.), you don't always need that ground wire at the end of the run. Exit signs are one such example. I think the boxes have the lug just to give you a place to tie the wire down.

G
I've noticed the lack of a ground wire terminal on exit signs as well. I've also puzzled over the presence of a ground wire terminal on plastic junction boxes.

Is this connected to a metal mounting strap? If so, it is to bond steel framing. (a new Florida law)

Greg Fretwell
J
Ask the inspector if he requires bonding to plastic water pipes too. He must not be very busy to call you on this one.
Or he is just an idiot.

M
You could have mounted a 4 inch square by 1 1/2 on the surface and ran EMT down to the box and mount the exit on the box.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard