ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy One of these days....... - 10/25/07 05:52 AM
....someone is going to get hurt taking an adaptor plug overseas on thier trip.
Have a look at this one:

[Linked Image]

It seems the earth pin is made of plastic, unless there's a new type of blue brass around that I've never heard of.
Posted By: johno12345 Re: One of these days....... - 10/25/07 11:12 AM
I have never seen a good one of those.

I tried to get some at work for when people travel and none of them had an earth. All our laptops have an earth connection.

We had 2 users visiting the US without a travel adapter so they went to Home Depot, bought a screwdriver and a 2 pin plug and nearly electrocuted themselves. I asked what they did with the earth and they said that the US doesnt have an earth so they cut it off. They also didnt think of the voltage difference. It is scary what people can cobble together
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: One of these days....... - 10/25/07 12:20 PM
The ones I know are at least built in a manner you can only insert ungrounded plugs (i.e. use class II devices). Doesn't make them that much better though, trying to run a hairdryer plugged into a US power strip was the first and probably last time I tried to use such an adaptor. I've got plugs for the countries I'm most likely to travel to (French, Italian, UK) and should I decide to go somewhere else I'd try to get plugs beforehand and make up my own extension cord.
Posted By: pauluk Re: One of these days....... - 10/28/07 03:17 PM
Let me guess: Made in China?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: One of these days....... - 10/29/07 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by pauluk
Let me guess: Made in China?

No Paul, you're wrong actually.
It was made in Pakistan.
It's anyone's guess what language the user manual was catering for. whistle
© ECN Electrical Forums