ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy An English Breakfast - 07/19/06 07:25 AM
This from Wikipedia:
English Breakfast
Sorry about another food thread, I just wondered if this was still eaten during the weekends, with all the health conciousness around these days?.
Cheers,
Mike.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: An English Breakfast - 07/19/06 10:07 AM
LOL,
As a consequence the very strong tea that is often served in such establishments is colloquially known as "builder's tea".
I wonder how the GC's in the US would go on a brew like that, mind you, I guess they're sour enough as it is, without external influences. [Linked Image]

Mmmm, but Black and white puddings, you can't do any better than that for breakfast.
Anyone that mentions the word coronary, will be edited out of this thread. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-19-2006).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 07/21/06 11:28 AM
Grouchy GCs. Could that be coffee induced torque, perhaps? Whereas, a nice big steaming pint mug of UK Builders', [ the color of road tar and made with 'Gunpowder' Tea, of course ], would calm them all into simpering little angels.

"D'you take sugar in it darlin'?"
"Yes please, ma'am."
"Ten spoons or twelve!"
Posted By: kiwi Re: An English Breakfast - 07/22/06 10:57 AM
As a kid in Glasgow I can remember "Kippers" for breakfast. Mmmmm Kippers !
Posted By: Trumpy Re: An English Breakfast - 07/22/06 11:42 PM
Alan,
Gunpowder tea indeed, wouldn't that be a violation of the Terrorism Act to be in possession of such a substance?. [Linked Image]
Kiwi,
I've only ever seen kippers in books, are they smoked fish?.
I can't really see myself eating fish for breakfast any day of the week, I'm sorry I love fish, but not first thing in the morning. [Linked Image]
Toast and coffee and a smoke usually starts my day.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 07/23/06 09:20 AM
"Gunpowder Tea" is [ or was? ] a brand of loose tea out of Assam in India, very dark in color and very strong. I suppose it got its name from the similarity with the military substance!

The kipper is a North Sea herring, which has been split down the middle and flattened out then smoked with oak or beech chips as a preservation method. Unsplit whole herring are called bloaters, [ or in France "Gendarmes" [Linked Image] -there is a passing resemblance!]
The best smoked fish in the world though, as kiwi will no doubt testify, is undoubtably the genuine Arbroath Smokie, a smoked haddock. There is a quarter in Arbroath, Scotland where the traditional smoking of this fish continues.
Posted By: pauluk Re: An English Breakfast - 07/23/06 01:28 PM
I still like a "fry up" sometimes, though it tends to be a brunch rather than for breakfast as such.

As for the black pudding, I've never tried it. I think that's a northern thing.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 07/23/06 09:49 PM
Didn't the 'Goodies' do a song called 'Black Puddin' Bertha'?

Anyway, here's Denise's Black pudding recipe which we used in the 70's & 80's :-

1. Cut pig's throat, after captive bolt-gunning it, and catch as much blood as possible in a bowl, while avoiding getting disembowelled by thrashing legs. [ Who's legs is not entirely clear!].
BTW, this 'bleeding out' of a carcase is essential for health reasons - [ read your Bible ].
2. Stir blood continuously till it cools to stop it congealing.
3. Mix with oatmeal, chopped suet from the pig's kidney area and lots of milled black pepper.
4. This paste is now stuffed into a 'caul' [from the stomach], or into washed intestines as per a sausage, then boiled for 30 minutes and allowed to cool.
5. Slice the pudding and fry the slices. It's quite nice actually, and far better than supermarket ones which tend to break up in the pan to a mush. Plus, of course, you can't eat their stupid black-plastic "skin". They use this to hide the brown color of the factory version, which is pumped full of extra fat, flour, vitamins, soya, sugar, flavourings, preservatives, color etc..

Traditionally, of course, this was all part of the process country folk had of wringing every last bit of nourishment out of the pig and all the hard work they had invested in it, before we all got wealthy and turned into fussy eaters.

And for any 'Goodies' fans: "By 'Eccy thump!" laugh

Alan
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 07/24/06 02:56 PM
Good post! [Linked Image]

I once had such breakfast (I'm from Hungary).
That was:
starting with some strong suff, palinka or unicum for example, eggs with mushroom, 2 kinds of salami, bacon, marmelade, honey, butter, some bread, tea or cocoa.

Usually I have this while I'm on holiday. (every 5 years)

Now I hardly eat something for breakfast, but no matter what I eat, I'm hungry at noon. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 07-24-2006).]
Posted By: geoff in UK Re: An English Breakfast - 07/24/06 07:19 PM
The black pudding is great stuff! The fried slices with a breakfast are good enough, but the best way to eat them is whole smaller whole ones, boiled and served with apple sauce and mashed potato.
Now that's not too unhealthy is it ?

The full English breakfast, to me, is a treat when staying in a hotel that offers it. Now that keeps you going all day, so avoiding seeking a bar snack at lunch time so that's a healthy option too !

QED !
Posted By: NORCAL Re: An English Breakfast - 07/25/06 01:37 AM
"Black Pudding" sounds like a good diet food, if it was placed in front of me I would not eat.
Posted By: johno12345 Re: An English Breakfast - 07/25/06 07:08 AM
Black pudding has to be tried to believe it. It is one of the best foods ever. I think it is best with fried egg. I dont usually eat breakfast. I like a mixed grill at the weekend occasionally which is sort of like an English breakfast (at least when I make it) [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 07/25/06 12:35 PM
LMAO http://john.pettigrew.org.uk/blog/images/black_pudding.jpg

This has not much to do with what we call pudding.

This is wht I call a pudding, and good for bf. http://www.vitamin.co.yu/slike/kuhinja/slag-puding/puding-sa-jagodama.jpg

In fact, I like this kinda food, http://misc.magyarorszag.hu/dimages/8547_etel_hurka_345.jpg
this is how the table looks like after a pig murder. hmmm... Wish I was there

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 07-25-2006).]
Posted By: TeesdaleSparkUK Re: An English Breakfast - 07/25/06 02:57 PM
The only time I have a "full English" is if I'm at a hotel or guest house and it's included in the price. Even then I tend not to eat much of it.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: An English Breakfast - 07/26/06 10:56 AM
Oddly enough, I had a coronary a few years back.
It was not caused by eating fatty foods or the like, in fact my diet at the time could have been described as very healthy.
What caused it was STRESS, purely and simply.
Black puddings would have been a once in a blue moon treat, as the the butchers shops here change hands so often, you don't know what you are getting.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-27-2006).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 07/26/06 12:04 PM
Well, everyone has their own tastes in food. No point in over-extolling the virtues of a particular favorite food, because other nations often find the idea of them abhorrent. I've noticed from previous threads that many Americans don't eat 'organ meat', ie liver, kidney etc..
Now me, I just hate figs to the point of obsession. Even writing this makes me nauseous, I can't stand them! It got even worse when someone told me there was some yukky wasp in every fruit, how true is that?
I doubt if I will ever taste witchity grubs or chocolate coated ants or roasted locusts either, for that matter, and hot chillis, NO!

Alan
Posted By: pauluk Re: An English Breakfast - 07/27/06 09:39 AM
Mais Alan, est-ce que tu aime les escargots, ou les jambes de grenouille? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: An English Breakfast - 07/27/06 11:07 AM
Black pudding seems to be the same as Austrian "blood sausage". Often served fried in slices with sauerkraut. I hardly ever get it, but fried with fried potatoes it tastes good!

Gloria: stop talking about Hungarian food! I get hungry! [Linked Image] I used to spend my summers some 40km from Balaton years ago, with a Hungarian cook and for some evenings a real nice restaurant in the small city of Zalakomar nearby...
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 07/27/06 11:34 AM
Ah! Touché mon mec! Bouffer a la pelle! [shovel it in!].

How about some thin sliced smoked wild sea-trout with lightly scrambled free range eggs, caper sauce, a fresh baked baguette, black coffee, hot croissants, jus d'orange pressée? Silver cutlery, crisp white table linen gently undulating in the warm morning breeze, Altlantic Ocean breakers rolling in a muffled roar up the beach below the hotel terrace.

Maintenant nous parlons le petit déjeuner francaise! [Linked Image]

Alan
Posted By: RODALCO Re: An English Breakfast - 07/27/06 12:01 PM
Patat, met Maijonaise en Croquette. hmmmmm

Chips, Mayonaise and Croquette. hmmmmm

A croquette, looks like a type of sausage but it ins'nt.
It has some type of ragout in it, hard to explain but it tastes delicious.
You can dip the chips in the ragout, it makes me hungry now.
Anyone going to The Netherlands has to try it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: kiwi Re: An English Breakfast - 07/28/06 09:24 AM
Mmmm Chips mayonnaise and croquette. I'm not even going to the Netherlands, but I want to try it. I'm hungry now ! Thanks Rodalco.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 07/28/06 11:32 PM
Some more of my favorite brekkies.

Egg on toast. 2 fried or poached eggs.
Baked beans,[Hienz, natch],on toast. HP sauce.
Kelloggs Corn Flakes, sugar, top of the milk. + Strawberries if available.
Daily Telegraph crossword and my own coffee pot.
Bacon Sarnie, lettuce and tomato.
3 Boiled eggs, 3.5 minutes. With soldiers.
Marmalade, on crusty bread.
Home made redcurrant or quince jelly, ditto.
A large pot of tea for a hangover. [Linked Image]

Alan
Posted By: TeesdaleSparkUK Re: An English Breakfast - 07/29/06 07:48 AM
I'm just not that energegetic to play Croquette on a morning.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 07/29/06 09:27 AM
Just as well, you might lose your mansion and your Ministry! Not the perks mind, [nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say n' more!], nor the obscene salary and the trips to the Ranch though, so not all bad!

Alan
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 07/31/06 01:57 PM
J'aime le thé, mais le café non plus.

Que restet'il de nous amour?

:P
J'ai étudé aussi Francaise á l'école, mais il y a 15 ans.

Est que c'est possible de ouvrir a forum en francaise? It would be fun. If I could understand it.

Sometimes it is hard to understand English here on ECN, but good to see some new words, and Alan uses very unfamiliar English words... I guess no dic contains them. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 07-31-2006).]
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 07/31/06 02:09 PM
This is how the Hungarians think of the Swimming European championship: http://www.pestiside.hu/archives/to_do_free_ride_to_free_swimming_show002582.php

I'm sorry.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 07/31/06 08:25 PM
Sorry Gloria, I'll try and curtail the slang! [Linked Image]
The Oxford English Dictionary [OED] has every English word form ever uttered, all 616,500 of them on 21,730 pages, but at a hefty €400 a year subscription, HO HUM!
Wikipedia is free, just takes a bit of navigation, but is comprehensive, (even for example, quince, cydonia oblonga; small asiatic shrub [birsalma]; its bitter, apple-like fruit, [birs] from which can be made jelly, jam, conserve [birsalma zselé]).

A French speaking Forum? On Electricity!!???? Now, that really would scroll our nurds*!!! [Linked Image]

*drive us crazy.

Alan
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: An English Breakfast - 07/31/06 09:04 PM
I once stumbled across a Swiss electrical forum! The posts were close to impossible to read, because people just wrote in dialect.
Posted By: StarTrek Re: An English Breakfast - 08/01/06 08:29 AM
Texas Ranger, do you happen to remember the URL (address)?
"Ich cha die Gheimsprach" (I know this secret language) [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: An English Breakfast - 08/01/06 11:30 AM
Welcome to ECN StarTrek!

[Linked Image]

Gloria,

Sometimes it is hard to understand English here on ECN,

If it's any consolation, even we Brits have trouble with slang sometimes, as there can be many local variations from one part of the country to another.

If we widen the field to U.S. vs. U.K. colloquial English, there are slang terms which can mean something very different on opposite sides of the Atlantic!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-01-2006).]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: An English Breakfast - 08/01/06 08:39 PM
Texas Ranger, do you happen to remember the URL (address)?
No way, sorry! I found it like 5 years ago, I don't even know whether it still exists.
You _might_ be able to find the link browsing very old threads at www.diesteckdose.net I think that's were I found the it.

Welcome to the forum!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: An English Breakfast - 08/06/06 04:44 AM
Hi there Star Trek,
Welcome to ECN, [Linked Image]

Sort of related to breakfast:

eggbaconchipsandbeans

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: An English Breakfast - 08/06/06 12:06 PM
Ah, now that reminds me of a cafe/farm shop place that I used to stop at while traveling a few years ago. It's midway between Boston and Kings Lynn on the north (eastbound) side of the A17 if anyone from the U.K. is out that way..... [Linked Image]

The traditional British cafe has been open to Carry on style jokes over the years though.

"You want variety? Of course you can have variety! You can have egg & chips; sausage & chips; egg, sausage & chips; egg, beans & chips; sausage, beans & chip; or egg, sausage, beans & chips." [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 08/06/06 02:36 PM
Lovely. Notice the teas? Just the right colour. Creosote.

Alan

ps. Where's the Spam?

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 08-06-2006).]
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 08/07/06 12:05 PM
You sound like monty python

"we have fish, spam, cheese, spam, spam, spam, bread and spam."
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 08/07/06 07:34 PM
Monty Python? Spam?

"Hello Mrs Cutout!"

"How about Lobster Thermidor a crevette with a mornay sauce served in a provencal manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle paté, brandy - and with a fried egg on top and spam?"

Vikings;"SPAM!SPAM!SPAM! Wonderful SPAM!"

"I love it!"
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 08/08/06 07:37 AM
LMAO
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 08/09/06 09:41 AM
Gloria, they are still selling the horrid muck. I hated it as a kid. Ma, Pa, me and my late much loved sister Irene went down to Margate in 1949 for a vacation. Pa had been building Heathrow Airport and had got a lot of overtime. The boarding-house landlady served us Spam every day at every meal,[ food was strictly rationed then , and the crafty old szuka had gotten our ration books]. Eventually Pa was elected 'spokeman' for the guests, so he went and put his tie on, tackled her and said we must have something different.

Next meal it came in square slices instead of round ones! [Linked Image] We all laughed so much, we forgot all about the bloody ghastly Spam!

There is even a Spam fan club, ferkrissakes:
(Motto: "Slice it, Dice it!")

Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh!

Alan

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-09-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 08-10-2006).]
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 08/09/06 02:41 PM
I wonder what is that you are talking about.
Not junkmail I'm afraid... [Linked Image]
http://www.physics.upenn.edu/~pcn/spam.gif

Edited for link

I must admit, our translator, Galla Miklós did a really wonderful job by translating the series to us. Otherwise I'd never ever laugh bit on that series. Köszi, Miklós

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 08-09-2006).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: An English Breakfast - 08/09/06 02:50 PM
I've only ever seen kippers in books, are they smoked fish?.

I love something called "kippered snacks" - essentially smoked sardines in a tin.

Fry-ups are the best. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 08/09/06 09:12 PM
Speaking of Monty Python:

And now for something completely different...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ve37gVwxw
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 08/15/06 02:37 PM
I see now. Funny, without the right translation I'm still not able to understand, tho I get the essence and I understand every word...

Hard language.

(Why Hungarian?)

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 08-22-2006).]
Posted By: kiwi Re: An English Breakfast - 09/09/06 11:17 AM
Yes, it's official. Black pudding is addictive.

I love all food and will eat anything EXCEPT TRIPE. Tripe is crumbed cattle stomach lining pieces, and I've noticed its not for sale in NZ anymore.

This may be getting a little off topic here but Trumpy raised an interesting point about stress. I think the average electrical worker is subject to a lot more stress than any other trade or profession.

Electrical workers have much more responsibility and the consequences of their mistakes are far worse than any other trade. Yet here in NZ we're paid the same as plumbers and bricklayers. If a plumber makes a mistake, a laundry may get flooded. If an Electrician makes a mistake, the whole building may catch fire or someone may get electrocuted.

Add to this the fact that there is a gross shortage of electrical workers in NZ and most of us are working well over 50 hours a week to cope with the workload and you have a very stressfull occupation.

I believe the same situation is true for Nurses here in NZ. But at least they are able to strike for more money and less hours. Electricians can't.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: An English Breakfast - 09/09/06 03:10 PM
Gidday Kiwi,
I love all food and will eat anything EXCEPT TRIPE. Tripe is crumbed cattle stomach lining pieces, and I've noticed its not for sale in NZ anymore.
Good Lord am I hearing you loud and clear there, mate!. [Linked Image]
We were given tripe as kids, I hated it then and I still hate it now, although I haven't seen it since I left home.
Don't expect me to shed any tears because you can't get it here anymore. [Linked Image]

Like Kiwi, I will eat most things, I draw the line at tripe and parsnips, they are the only vegetable I won't eat, even if you paid me!.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-09-2006).]
Posted By: djk Re: An English Breakfast - 09/09/06 04:55 PM
Cork had some pretty horrendous foods in the past made from tripe! Drisheen (tripe saussages!!) being the most gross. Many of those dishes go back to poorer times when many people couldn't afford prime cuts of meat. Most of this city survived on tripe & onions for the 1800s!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: An English Breakfast - 09/09/06 06:29 PM
Good call there Dave.
It seems funny how we never seem to learn from past experience. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: An English Breakfast - 09/10/06 01:04 PM
@kiwi: don't plumbers do gas work in NZ? If they do the risk to blow up os just the same as with electricians!
Even though late 19th century Vienna houses tend to survive gas explosions they usually don't look pretty afterwards - most of the non-load bearing interior brick walls near the explosion collapse, sometimes the ceilings collapse on several floors... I'd hate to be in there!

One thing to mention though before the gas paranoia gets on again... of the two major gas explosions that happened in vienna during the last few years one was caused by an idiot who tried to DIY disconnect his gas stove (pipe wrench was found in the ruins), while the other one was caused by an equally stupid person messing around with a propane bottle in his kitchen (even though they were able to question him afterwards it never came out what exactly happened). So the conclusion is: as long as you don't mess around with it, gas won't explode.

Oh yeah, the most terrible explosion about 5 years ago (took down an entire 1960s apartment block) was caused by two EXTREMELY ignorant plumbers.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 09/12/06 10:05 PM
I like tripes a la francaise - the dish appears regularly in small cafés here as a 'special'. And when it does, you can't get a seat at the trough.

Mind you, with 'British style' cooking a la awful 'Mrs Beeton', [ that woman boiled her carrots for 6 hours. ], who can blame those who hated tripe as a kid?
Her recipe? Boil 3" chunks of tripe for 2 hours in milk with onion and then thicken the mess with flour. Groooo! Sounds appetising, don't it? Looks like lumpy wallpaper paste!
Then her dreadful 'French' version, laughingly entitled "a la Lyonnaise"- Cold boiled tripe, fried with onion till brown then swamped in chopped parsley and vinegar. Ooo-eck!

French recipe; washed thin slices of tripes sautéed with shallots in butter, then loads of fresh ripe tomatoes, sweet peppers, zuccini, aubergines, black pepper, salt, olive oil, red wine and a huge 'bouquet garni' the size of your boot, plus some veal heels for that smooth gelatinous finish - simmered and reduced for 4 hours. And if you can't quite come to terms with eating cow's stomach, leave it on the plate and just enjoy the soup with some chunks of baguette, a nice glass of bordeaux and the sparkling conversation:
"How is your corn doing, M. Léfevre?"
"Ah, bon. {sluuuuurppp!")

It's all in the mind, you know. It's only beef protein after all - the French stuff their faces with true relish on these esoteric dishes while the rest of us let the processed food factories secretly stuff it in their meat pies and patties.

You are still eating it! [Linked Image]

Alan
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 10/19/06 02:43 PM
I think I`m also changing from traditional hungarian food to eastern, ours is good, in winter, it`s so full of calory, taht I could not move if I`d ate that for lunch.

Usually I eat fish, fish fingers with frost fried vegs (Findus thai mix)
or tune on bread with butter and purple onion. Otherwise I eat pizza too, but it`s still too expensive. for ex pizza hut here costs around 10 EUR.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: An English Breakfast - 11/03/06 07:33 PM
I have to agree there Alan,
I just can't get over the fact that it is a cow's stomach.
Maybe it is just an in-built thing that I've grown up with and of course, the fact that any dish of tripe that I've tried to eat has been, at best, totally bland in taste and always overcooked, which makes it not unlike trying to chew on a rubber inner tube out of a tyre.
BTW Alan,
One thing the french would love if they were down here, is the Mutton-bird.
I've only tried them once and good lord were they awful, an acquired taste as they say.
Even cooking them stinks the house out, you have to boil them to get all the fat and salt out of them, before you roast them.
Never again, eh!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 11/06/06 02:43 PM
Wow!
I checked in Germany, and Pizza hut is more expensive there than here! Amazing.
If I`d eat pizza hut pizza each day, it would cost 2/3 of my salary...

Wow.
Posted By: Kenbo Re: An English Breakfast - 11/06/06 09:59 PM
Sound awfull but tastes brill try a Haggis
You can even get a "Spicey Haggis" for the more refined Haggi eater. Caution......May cause a bit of back draft when eaten properly with "tatties and neeps" (Mash potatoes and turnip)

Darn it now I have just blown the chance to fleace some tourists with my Haggis hunting tours [Linked Image]
Posted By: kiwi Re: An English Breakfast - 11/10/06 11:17 AM
Gloria, if you ate Pizza Hutt exclusively for a few days, you wouldn't have the energy to go to work and earn your salary.

Kenbo, I laughed reading about CURRIED HAGGIS.

I've even had haggis in a can.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: An English Breakfast - 11/10/06 11:59 AM
McDo's, [ as its known here], is my favorite lunch, I love it! I always have two big macs, fries, Go Large, and coffee. And by 7 o' clock I am ready for my proper dinner- meat & 2 veg and pud.
I've read all the media tosh about these fast-food places selling unhealthy food. Quelle bolleaux! What could be healthier than a nice bit of grilled lean ground beef, bread roll, or pizza base and cheese/ham with some nice fries packed with vitamin C and a salad in a spotless restaurant? Full of energy, protein and vitamins with no bugs, roaches or rat droppings. 'Course if you eat too much of it all the time at every meal, you'll probably drop dead with beri-beri or lard poisoning something...
Now if you really want to eat unhealthy crap, go to a UK hospital!
Posted By: pauluk Re: An English Breakfast - 11/11/06 12:31 AM
McDo's, [ as its known here], is my favorite lunch, I love it! I always have two big macs, fries, Go Large, and coffee.

I don't mind McD, but I prefer BK. Both the burgers and fries just seem better to me, although I have to go 20 miles to the nearest BK while McD is a mere 10 mi. away!

Better yet is Wendy's, although I haven't been in one of those since I left the States in '96.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: An English Breakfast - 11/14/06 01:44 PM
Paul,
I probably eat McD's (called Macca's here) once a year, if that.
Like yourself I prefer BK, it does taste better, but we don't have a BK here in AshVegas.
The Maccas here tastes really bland with the woodiest lettuce you can get. [Linked Image]
Posted By: RODALCO Re: An English Breakfast - 11/16/06 10:23 AM
Had Mac Donalds yesterday as a treat for the kids after swimming lessons.
I like the big mac and standard cheese burgers.
Once a fortnight or 3 weeks is enough for me.
Gloria You like pizza's ?
If you ever visit New Zealand I can recommend you an excellent Italian Pizzeria in Glendene, West Auckland, which makes the best pizza's in the country.
My favorite there is the Michelle with extra olives and chilies.
Have that one once a week for the last 16 years.
absolutely delicious.
Cheers Raymond
Posted By: kiwi Re: An English Breakfast - 11/28/06 08:04 AM
My favourite food is raw fish. A breakfast of raw fish & brown rice at 6am and you won't feel hungry till early afternoon. I swear !

The important thing with raw fish is the sauce ( Soy with fresh herbs & garlic ) and also to eat very fresh fish.

Raw fish for breakfast may sound daunting, but I suggest you try it for dinner first, and then when you realize how good it taste, add it to your breakfast menu. With the brown rice its got a nice chewy texture ( like meusli !) and it gives you more energy than any other breakfast cereal.

If real raw fish is too gross for you to try, marinate the raw fish in lemon juice first. The lemon juice kind of cooks the fish.

Enjoy !
Posted By: Trumpy Re: An English Breakfast - 11/28/06 09:19 AM
Kiwi,
I can agree with that.
Raw fish might sound repugnant to some, but it is a really nice feed.
I tried raw fish in Japan in Tokyo when I was the coach of a under17 cricket team a couple of years back.
It's all about the accompniments(sp??).
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 11/30/06 04:07 PM
AshVegas LOL!

Yes, I do like pizza, but it`s the biggest shock a human body can have.
I can eat as much as I like, but I`ll have every dkg visible on my back.

That`s a problem.

BUT!

I was taken to an Indian restaurant by a colleague, and I have to say it`s the best meal I`ve ever had. We had white wine to it, and I felt really high, (tho I dunno what does marijuana do), I felt so good, but some times later I was crying on the shoulder of this colleague... it was a strange evening...

Does anyone know the company called Satyam? Thats the one I work for.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: An English Breakfast - 01/13/07 11:01 PM
From EBCB ,
If I ever started my own country; this would be the flag.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

{Message edited to fix link}. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-13-2007).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: An English Breakfast - 01/14/07 12:01 AM
I see the Mermaid Cafe, Mablethorpe on that site. I used to go in there sometimes when I lived in Sutton on Sea, which is just a couple of miles down the coast from Mablethorpe. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: An English Breakfast - 01/15/07 10:16 AM
One thing that really gets me Paul,
is the fact that these eateries (sp?) are becoming few and far between.
In Ashburton here, there is only one place where you can get a decent cooked breakfast.
And that is Kelly's (an Irish Pub).
The PC brigade have more or less ruled any decent breakfasts out, apart from rabbit food.
Where are we honestly heading?.
Posted By: pauluk Re: An English Breakfast - 01/15/07 11:53 PM
Despite the best efforts of the health nazis, we still have plenty of "greasy spoon" and "Joe's Cafe" type of places here, especially in the seaside resorts.

If you drive down to Great Yarmouth in the summer you have literally dozens to choose from along the seafront.
Posted By: Gloria Re: An English Breakfast - 01/25/07 03:25 PM
We have that already. I`m not able to upload a picture...
© ECN Electrical Forums