ECN Forum
Posted By: RODALCO S.W.E.R. - 01/01/06 05:00 AM
On my travels upnorth to Kaitaia I saw the SWER system near the Mangamuka ranges hence this topic.

This is 11 kV 2 phase to 11 kV 1 phase or known as the washing line.

I'm aware of SWER systems in Piopio by National Park area and Tapu area in the Coromandel.

What other SWER systems are around in NZ or overseas ? Also what voltage levels are used?

Awaiting any replies

HAPPY NEW YEAR [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] anyway. Ray
Posted By: briselec Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/01/06 08:22 AM
This is a good article about the use of SWER in Australia and the voltages used -
http://tdworld.com/mag/power_one_wire_enough/
Posted By: RODALCO Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/01/06 09:48 AM
Many thanks briselec That's an excellent link you inserted there. Welcome to the forum. [Linked Image]
Cheers Ray
Posted By: Trumpy Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/02/06 08:46 AM
Ahh,
The Clothes-Line!. [Linked Image]
At one time parts of Mid and South Canterbury used to be riddled with these systems.
However, because of the increase of loads caused by the Dairy farms and irrigation plants flung all over the place, the Network down here has had to be upgraded to a full-sized 3 phase 33 or 66kV network, where there was originally only a single 11 or 22kV SWER line and a heap of step-down transformers along it's length.
As far as the SWER line itself went here, they were only of the single line variety.
You very rarely see them here these days, apart from the really isolated parts of the Network. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/02/06 05:12 PM
You might also like to browse this thread and the links therein:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001230.html

(Wow, was that really 3 years ago?! [Linked Image] )
Posted By: aussie240 Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/02/06 10:50 PM
There was an article in Electronics Australia in 1979...the then magazine editor had assumed that SWER was no longer but a rash of readers letters corrected that. There are plenty of SWER lines operating not that far from me. I think they're 11kV.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/03/06 07:12 AM
Thanks Pauluk I have read quite a few of the older topics but not as far as 2002 yet, so that link is great info.

I have a few piccies from an 2 phase to 1 phase SWER transformer in the Mangamuka's.
I ask Trumpy to put the photo's on , but SWER is well alive in New Zealand in 2006. [Linked Image]

Next month I'm in Coromandel for holiday and see if SWER still in use overthere too.
Posted By: briselec Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/03/06 08:07 AM
I've read there is over 190,000km of SWER system in use in rural Australia.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/03/06 12:33 PM
Here they are Ray:
I took these SWER transformer pics up north in the Mangamuka's, this is one of the newer single tank 2Ø to 1Ø 'isolating" transformers.

Voltage level 11kV to 11kV SWER, not sure what the second tapchanger is for. Also the single phase 'gas' switch in series with the ddo. whether that is remotely contolled or not. You may know from your South Island Experience.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

{Message edited to add info, it's late here}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-03-2006).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/04/06 10:04 AM
LOL Ray,
I haven't seen poles like that since I left Temuka!. [Linked Image]
Also the single phase 'gas' switch in series with the ddo. whether that is remotely controlled or not
No, if it was remotely controlled it would have a radio interface unit on it.
The earthing system for the transformer and lightning arrestors is a bit rough.
One thing that did catch my attention as I was uploading these pics, is that DDO fuseholder mount on the left side, above the transformer is sitting there by the skin of it's teeth. [Linked Image]
One final thing, this job wasn't done yesterday, the fuseholders are the old kind that NZ Insulators in Temuka used to manufacture.
I used to find, as a kid, a pile of broken insulators down by the river (where they used to dump thier seconds), they were an ideal size for weighing down your eel-pots. [Linked Image]
Posted By: RODALCO Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/04/06 06:41 PM
You are right there Trumpy, it didn't even cross my mind, of course ! there is no areal or controlbox. I must have been in holiday mode [Linked Image]

The ddo supports have seen better days although the transformer looks reasonably new. Other sides I have seen used to have 2 transformers back to back, instead of this single tank TX.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/14/06 02:13 AM
Bump !

As discussed in the other thread, this is a SWER isolating transformer on the photo.

Primary is at 2Ø 11 kV . (look at the 2 ddo's).
Secondary is 1Ø 11 kV SWER. (1 ddo)
and transformer secondary winding is internally connected to the small white insulator. One of the outgoing earth wires will go to the tank, the other to the earthbank. Load is usually limited to 8 Amps @ 11 kV.

It's not too clear on the photo but the earth wire is visible on the RHS of the 2 tapchangers from the small white insulator.
That earth wire goes to a very good earth bank with earth rods and bare strip earth wires to avoid any step voltages nearby the transformer.

The transformers down the SWER line are standard 11 kV 1Ø transformers, which can be used from a 2Ø 11 kV supply or from a 1Ø 11 kV SWER "washing line".
Posted By: C-H Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/16/06 01:40 PM
To answer some of Rodalco's original questions:

I think the most common voltage for new installs is 19 kV. I know it is in some African countries (like Namibia) and I've seen transformers for this voltage from Thai manufacturer as well. You can use the same insulators as for 33 kV 3-ph systems.

Distribution systems up to 33 kV have been built, in South Africa e.g.

If you run the calculations, you will see that raising the voltage overcomes some of the inherent limitations of a SWER system. You get other problems instead, of course.

Suggestions for 80 kV, 6 MW SWER transmission systems have been made for Alaska. Not built, AFAIK.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/16/06 04:17 PM
Well, the poles are about 40 years old, if that's a date on one.

Alan
Posted By: RODALCO Re: S.W.E.R. - 01/18/06 05:28 AM
Well, the poles are about 40 years old, if that's a date on one.
Alan

Correct. In NZ most poles will have the
date of manufacture on them.
They used to be made within the local POCO's
concrete plant.

The actual transformer is less than 10 years old. Powerboard used to put 2 tranny's back to back to make up the SWER system. 11kV - 11kV (isolation tranny) 11kV - Earth. SWER.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: S.W.E.R. - 02/12/06 03:02 AM
More pics of the SWER system can be found here in the Photos Area.
© ECN Electrical Forums