ECN Forum
Posted By: SvenNYC old Aussie/NZ mains plugs? - 01/19/05 10:18 PM
Any idea where old Aussie plugs/sockets/switches like these might still be found?

Trumpy, IIRC, you said a long while back you had some lying around?

[Linked Image]

Can any of the mods put this on the ECN server itself just in case the image is removed? Thanks.

{Done Sven!}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-19-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: old Aussie/NZ mains plugs? - 01/19/05 10:44 PM
Sven,
Trumpy, IIRC, you said a long while back you had some lying around?
Yes I did say that and I've more than likely still got them too.
You want them?.
Biggest task is going to be finding them, as they'll be rather well hidden these days.
There's been a few "Spring Cleaning's" since I made that statement.
For those that are interested, these are the first plugs that came out here when NZ first got Electrical supplies in the home.
As you can see from the photo, they are made from Alabaster, a form of Bakelite.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: old Aussie/NZ mains plugs? - 01/19/05 10:53 PM
Awesome Mike. Thanks much!!!
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: old Aussie/NZ mains plugs? - 01/20/05 02:38 AM
P.S. Mike, if you need to get in touch with me, let me know if you need email or whatever. Thanks again
Posted By: Trumpy Re: old Aussie/NZ mains plugs? - 02/02/05 10:05 PM
Sven,
I'm afraid the news isn't good.
I've turned the house upside-down trying to find the box of old plugs and stuff I had here.
But I can't seem to find it anywhere, I must have thrown it out a while back.
Sorry about that. [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: old Aussie/NZ mains plugs? - 02/03/05 04:19 PM
Awww that's too bad.

Oh well, thanks Mike for your help. [Linked Image]
Posted By: kiwi Re: old Aussie/NZ mains plugs? - 02/04/05 08:39 AM
I've got some 10A light switches made from bakelite. The bakelite electrical accessories are from a quaint period in Australasias history when electricity was still a novelty.
I see these plugs sometimes. Usually on an old "Wireless" or an ancient heater in elderly folks houses. I will certainly send one to you next time I replace one.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: old Aussie/NZ mains plugs? - 02/04/05 09:26 PM
Thanks Kiwi!!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: aussie240 Re: old Aussie/NZ mains plugs? - 07/13/05 04:53 AM
I see 4 Ring Grip plugs and HPM's first attempt at a side entry plug there from the late 40's/50's. I'm a chronic hoarder of things old and such fittings look the part in my 1931 wired house with split seam steel conduit and fabric covered VIR wiring [Linked Image]I've got dozens of bakelite plugs, polarity reversing double adaptors and other currently 'frowned upon' fittings in use. You get boxes of bakelite fittings like that at the various markets/swap meets/junk shops here. We won't mention the first generation of HPM plugs will we...the ones where a loose strand of wire pokes out from beneath. I received my first shock off one of those!
Posted By: pauluk Re: old Aussie/NZ mains plugs? - 07/13/05 11:14 AM
You get boxes of bakelite fittings like that at the various markets/swap meets/junk shops here.

Same here in England. Junk shops can be a treasure-trove for old electrical fittings. [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: old Aussie/NZ mains plugs? - 07/17/05 11:32 PM
Aussie & Paul,

hey, if you ever run across stuff like that in junk/rummage sales, can you keep me in mind?

I'll pay whatever it cost and the shipping, obviously.

Thanks!

Yeah, I have a nasty little habit of collecting old electrical bits also. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums