ECN Forum
Posted By: uksparky Anyone from France here? - 01/04/05 12:37 AM
Where can I obtain a copy of the French COP or regs? If it's available online that would be better still [Linked Image]

Thanks!
Posted By: aland Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/04/05 01:18 AM
Uk, try google search for NFC 15-100 as a starter, some sites translate to english. The same question has been asked on the IEE forum. Good Luck Alan
Posted By: uksparky Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/05/05 12:53 AM
Cheers Al! [Linked Image]

I'll have a quick google now... [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/05/05 02:15 PM
Are you off to "La Belle France" to do some wiring then, John? [Linked Image]
Posted By: uksparky Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/12/05 01:36 AM
I'm looking at some property over there... [Linked Image]

I love France - and also the French too [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/12/05 03:11 PM
Ah.... I like France too, and find most of the people to be pretty friendly, despite what a lot Brits seem to say.

There was a guy in Civray I upset one time, but as I'd just accidentally nearly knocked his apple stand over as the back of the camper caught it while trying to turn down a tight street, I guess he was entitled to be a little mad! [Linked Image]

Oh, and there was the boy of about 9 or 10 washing windshields in a parking lot one time. When I gave him his 5 francs he tried to con Johnny Foreigner into thinking it was only 1 franc. Tried to tell me that the big "5" was the serial number of the coin!

Ah well, les garcons seront les garcons, n'est-ce pas? [Linked Image]

The main thing I have against France is the petty bureaucracy and some of their more outlandish laws, but then I do admire the French for what I consider to be a healthy disregard for rules and regulations!

Also on the bright side is the prospect of having 400V 3-phase available in a home workshop..... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-12-2005).]
Posted By: djk Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/12/05 05:05 PM
[Linked Image from nte.ups-tlse.fr]

Seems to be the modern way of doing wiring in France.

Not bad by any standards!
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/12/05 05:21 PM
Looking forward to working with those funky wall sockets with the male earth pins?

I wonder if those pins ever manage to break off the device.
Posted By: djk Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/13/05 12:04 AM
I lived over there and have never seen it happen. They're pretty securely fixed into position and recessed similarly to schuko, so you can't knock them off accidently.

Plenty of older non-earthed outlets still in service though. But, they are disappearing rather rapidly.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/18/05 09:43 PM
Why are the two-wire sockets dissapearing so rapidly?

Is it a push by wiring device manufactureres to make home-owners upgrade their electrical systems, or is it just people realizing the benefits of having earthed sockets?

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-18-2005).]
Posted By: djk Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/18/05 10:22 PM
Well, the non-earthed variety are pretty old at this stage and new installations require earthed sockets.

As far as I'm aware the same situation applies in other parts of Europe and in the USA too.

Also, in general French installations are fully RCD protected. So the likelihood of getting a shock, even from a non-earthed outlet is quite low.

A modern French installation is as good as you'll get anywhere in the world.

Bare in mind that a lot of British people's experiences of France are based on staying in "Gites" which tend to be old converted barns, many of which were converted in the 1950s and still retain a certain 1950s electrical charm!

These old houses will often only have earthed sockets in the kitchen and bathroom!
Posted By: uksparky Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/19/05 09:00 PM
A modern French installation is as good as you'll get anywhere in the world.

I'm inclined to agree with that DJK. Some of the installations I have seen have been of a very high standard.

I also agree with your point regarding 'gites'; many of these jobs were done on the cheap as well as some time ago!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/19/05 09:39 PM
Don't forget too that France took a good few years to recover from the ravages of WWII, so it's not unusual to see all sorts of ingenious work-arounds on properties of this age.

I once saw a French house in which at least half the walls had been built entirely from roofing tiles, overlapped horizontally and cemented together! Oh, and the wiring was euqally as, er, interesting....... [Linked Image]
Posted By: djk Re: Anyone from France here? - 01/19/05 09:58 PM
I'm sure if you poked around some 1950s installations in the UK they'd be equally dodgy! Modern sockets could have been retrofitted to ancient wiring systems.

At least in France if you see ancient non-grounded sockets, you know the property needs attention!
© ECN Electrical Forums