ECN Forum
Posted By: uksparky Broadband - 12/07/04 12:40 AM
I know this, technically, belongs in the IT area, but it's specifically aimed at the UK.

Do any of my Brit colleagues have broadband? If so, is it worth it? What have you had to do to get/use it?

I am considering having it in for Xmas - BT say it's now possible here. But I am not totally convinced....

"Foreigners" please feel free to comment too!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Hutch Re: Broadband - 12/07/04 01:35 AM
uk,

I'm on cable broadband in Denver and could not think about going back to dial-up. It is a different world. Normally I get in excess of 1.5 Mbps and sometimes > 3.2 Mbps.

My advice - if you can get it - go for it!

Merry Christmas! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 12-06-2004).]
Posted By: marcspages Re: Broadband - 12/07/04 06:44 PM
UKSparky,

I got broadband for Christmas last year and it has been Christmas all year this year! I too went for BT and have had excellent service (the system has not been down once - or that I know of at least). Being a fault analysis consultant, I get sent rather large databases of power quality recordings without being asked if I can take a 10MB file by email - but am I worried now? Nope! Until then, I must admit I would want to throttle the sender as it made dial-up rather expensive and tedious.

I concur with Hutch, you'll never look back. Have a Very Blessed Christmas.

M.
Posted By: aland Re: Broadband - 12/07/04 10:37 PM
UK, I have cable Broadband (Telewest) would never consider anything else. Service is great. Even has an added virus/security wall. Have received quite a few edited e-mails that have been checked and quarantined prior to reciept. That alone has been a worthy reason to subscribe. Good luck and enjoy. Alan
Posted By: SimonUK Re: Broadband - 12/19/04 11:28 PM
I'm on AOL platinum. Up to 1.1Mb download speed and costs me £29.99 a month. They also have a gold and silver service which are 512K and 250K respectively, I think the silver is only £10 or £15 a month. I only use the AOL dialer to log on then use my normal browser and email.

No problems yet. Couldn't imagine going back to dial up.

SimonUK
Posted By: lyledunn Re: Broadband - 12/24/04 07:33 PM
Just got BT Broadband up and running. After a few very irritating start-up problems, my inital reaction is wow!! Hopefully the speed of connection and download will enhance my continued enjoyment of superb sites like this!
Posted By: djk Re: Broadband - 12/25/04 11:16 PM
Lyle,

Once you get it there's no going back! You should try adding WiFi! --- broadband access from anywhere in the house ... surf the web on a deck chair in the garden if you like [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Broadband - 12/26/04 08:14 PM
Few weeks ago our cable broadband went down and I had to go back to 56k dial-up... yuck! It's a different world! The phone cord that ran across the hallway at ankle height was a really nice extra... my brother managed to run into it and rip the phone socket off the wall.
Posted By: :andy: Re: Broadband - 12/27/04 01:08 AM
Why are your broadband connections that fast?

We again are behind...

Our standard is 1024 kbps down and 128 up.

Which makes 120 KB/sec down and incredible 16 up.

Upstream is always that slow here.
Posted By: C-H Re: Broadband - 12/27/04 07:30 AM
Andy, the ADSL is assymetric by nature. Other types of broadband connections may offer higher upstream rates. I think broadband over the cable-TV-network has technically always been a 10 mbps (downstream) link. The companies have limited the bandwith for various reasons. The ADSL is slower, typically 256 kbps to 8 Mbps. Upstreams is of course much slower. For experimental purposes, half a dozen homes will have 1 Gbps via fiber soon... Not even the geekiest of geeks have figured out what to do with all that bandwidth. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 12-27-2004).]
Posted By: djk Re: Broadband - 12/27/04 05:31 PM
Apparently there mobile phones in Japan with > 2mbit/sec access since 2001!

Makes our 3G offerings seem rather pathetic !

They're already looking at 4G ... speeds >20mbit/sec.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Broadband - 12/28/04 08:28 PM

C-H, 1Gbps is almost fast enough for {tedious but still feasible} human teleportation. {And people think VoIP and movie transfers are tempting fate.}
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broadband - 12/29/04 10:59 AM
Well then,
Beam me up Scotty!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: C-H Re: Broadband - 12/29/04 12:33 PM
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] at Mike.

Scott(y), I would fear one of those "file transmission interrupted" messages...
Posted By: classicsat Re: Broadband - 12/29/04 08:06 PM
Mine, right now, is 733 down, 511 up.
I have had as fast as 1024 up, and a bit faster than 512 down (maybe 700 ish).
I don't have DSL technically, but a telco broadband technology called Etherloop.
Posted By: aland Re: Broadband - 01/08/05 11:07 AM
John, Did you get your Broadband connection?
If so has it come upto expectation?
Posted By: uksparky Re: Broadband - 01/09/05 01:33 AM
Not yet Alan, no. We have had problems with the last leg of the line to our property again [Linked Image]

Also, I haven't managed to make my mind up who to go for yet! Looking at one-tel at the moment...
Posted By: DaveB Re: Broadband - 01/26/05 11:45 PM
John, don't know if you've got your broadband yet but one worth looking at is www.adsl4less.com they do have a set up cost but the monthly sub is only slightly more than the better Dial Up services. Plus unlike a lot of the highly advertised companies they use IP stream the same as BT and not Data Stream which still seems somewhat prone to contention issues.

[This message has been edited by DaveB (edited 01-26-2005).]
Posted By: gideonr Re: Broadband - 01/29/05 10:16 PM
I'm on e7even £15/month 512k unlimited. Been fine so far (4 months). BT had to replace the local armoured cables as they weren't thick enough guage for ADSL, being 4km+ from the exchange, and others are still further down the line.
Posted By: SimonUK Re: Broadband - 01/31/05 08:02 PM
Just been upgraded to AOL platinum 2, 2.272M rx for £34.99 a month. Only £5 a month more than 1.1M on platinum 1.
Posted By: Gloria Re: Broadband - 02/02/05 03:24 PM
Hi all!

I thought this part of the forum is only for electricians. LOL

In my opinion life without broadband worths not much.
I especially like to chat with Trumpy, but my heartache is that we cannot talk live, tho with my boss I can talk perfectly thru MSN or skype, or any.
© ECN Electrical Forums