ECN Forum
Posted By: Texas_Ranger German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 03:01 PM
Here is a nice picture of German Busch-Jaeger NEMA 5-15R receptacles.
Sorry for the size of the image, I couldn't downsize it without a lot of work bc I found it on the web as is.

[Linked Image]

Click here for full-size image

Never knew such a beast existed!

{ Edited to rescale image -- Paul }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-02-2004).]
Posted By: C-H Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 03:25 PM
It says Leviton on it...

Apparently it is designed to fit German boxes and a German made cover.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 03:31 PM
Leviton Spec. Grade, AL/CU. That explains the complete absence of anything but the UL/CSA listing.
It is designed to fit German boxes and BJ modular frames. The guy wants to sell them and I asked for the price. Hopefully he doesn't want too much.
Posted By: :andy: Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 04:13 PM
i've heard of these, they were used in american GI homes in germany sometimes.

ranger look here (german text) http://forum.electronicwerkstatt.de/phpBB/topic17418_f17_bxtopic_timexDESC_by1_bz0_ bs0.html

btw, looks to me the AL is crossed out so it should say NO AL allowed... ?

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 08-02-2004).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 04:20 PM
Ragnar,

Hope you don't mind -- I've taken the liberty of editing your post to rescale the image.

That's an interesting combination. Looks like the manufacturer just riveted the Leviton receptacle onto a German frame. It appears from the other holes and cut-outs that the frame is a general one used for other devices.

That's not an AL/CU receptacle though. The markings are telling you that it's not suitable for aluminum wire.

Oh, and did the photographer have this upside down when he took the picture? [Linked Image] (Runs, ducks, and avoids flying objects..... [Linked Image] )
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 04:36 PM
Ooops, didn't notice the crossed out Al. [Linked Image]

lol, Andy, I am Trumbaschl! That's my nick there.

Thanks a lot for rescaling the image Paul, I never got to reinstalling my Graphics Converter after the secondary HD crashed, so I couldn't rescale it myself.
The frame might be taken from an antenna socket or maybe dimmer switch, standard Schuko sockets and switches have much smaller frames.

OT, but did you know that UK 13A sockets fit german switch boxes? The screw spacing and size is identical.
Posted By: pauluk Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 05:06 PM
Hey, does "Trumbaschl" mean anything in English, or is it one of those terms that just don't translate properly? [Linked Image]

I didn't realize that the fixing centers on a British device would fit a German box. The screw threads themselves don't surprise me, however. British boxes switched to metric 3.5mm threads when the industry changed to metric in general around 1970. Earlier boxes and screws are 4BA, which at first glance look almost the same but are just different enough to pull straight out or jam in solid!

Das werden Lautsprechersteckdosen gewesen sein. Wenns die Schule war dann vermutlich in 100V Technik.
Is somebody talking about a 100V speaker distribution system in an old school here? British PA systems also used the 100V line with matching transformers extensively, although I believe they weren't commonly used (if at all?) in the U.S. (I believe a 70V system was the norm).

Alte österreichische Radios sind für 110, 127, 150, 220 und 240V einstellbar.
Where did your 150V come from? [Linked Image]

I wish I'd continued studying German at school now!

BTW, ich liebe die Katze! [Linked Image]
Posted By: :andy: Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 07:05 PM
I think trumbaschl must be something specific austrian, no idea what that could be [Linked Image]

you were right with the 100v audio transmission, which is still common for long distance building applications here.

i have also never heard of 150V, need to ask ranger about that.

really funny happening ranger, i thaught of you when i first read the Vienna under trumbaschl's avatar [Linked Image] but then, nah, there's more than 1 sparkie in vienna...
never thaught you'd be ...
did you ever notice me there, same nickname as here?

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 08-02-2004).]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 07:23 PM
I've seen the actual device part of this over here a couple times... I think they were in some wierd outdoor outlet enclosure on a trailer or something..
I had no idea they were overseas though!

-Randy
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 07:44 PM
Actually Trumbaschl is not a word at all! It's a name my dad invented for a story when I was a kid, and hopefully nobody knows what it refers to [Linked Image]
No, I won't tease you. Back when I was about 7 my parents rented a second apartment in the same house, to use it as an office and guest bedroom. The old wiring was shoddy at least, and most of all really weird. The sparkies who dug into it kept calling their boss off our phone every few minutes bc they had no idea how things were actually working. And afterwards my dad invented the mystery sparky Kurt trumbaschl who did all that wiring. And when I was looking for a funny nick I stumbled over that one, where I was the only one who'd know the hidden meaning... (and noooo, my wiring is much better than his!)
Andy, I thought it might be you, but I wasn't sure. After all it's a pretty common name.
I have absolutely no idea about the 150V, but I have a few radios with that voltage setting.
The cat is really cool, when I was looking through the list of avatars it immediately caught my eye.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 07:46 PM
BTW, German boxes are designed for self-tapping screws, so about anything with approx. the right diameter would fit.
Posted By: pauluk Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 08:13 PM
Ah, so now we know..... [Linked Image] Thanks!

Crabtree electrical here in England also sells a few NEMA 5-15 type receptacles, on standard British plates:

[Linked Image]

Part #7062 has the slots molded into the plate, so presumably is entirely Crabtree made, but #7061 and #7062/E look as though they might be standard American-made devices fitted to a Crabtree-designed plate.

I think these outlets are probably sold for export to Saudi Arabia where apparently they use mostly British boxes and switches but have a 127V system.

Posted By: uksparky Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 10:49 PM
I think these outlets are probably sold for export to Saudi Arabia where apparently they use mostly British boxes and switches but have a 127V system.

Hmm... How much of the AE territory does that V apply to? I recall Bahrain, in the days of the UK military occupation, which was 240V...with the most hair-raising elec installations imaginable!! [Linked Image]

Just wondering how much of the area is 127...
Posted By: pauluk Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/02/04 11:06 PM
I have no idea, but the Crabtree catalog lists telephone and fax numbers for a Dubai office on the back, so maybe that's a clue?

MK also makes an NEMA 5-15 receptacle (Complete with shutters!):
[Linked Image from mkelectric.co.uk]

They also have:

Export dimmer for 127V 60Hz

and

Schuko outlets on a British-style plate .

Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: German NEMA 5-15 receptacle - 08/03/04 11:40 AM
Re: Schuko on British wall plate:

These products are not suitable for installation in 25mm boxes

Biiig surprise!
© ECN Electrical Forums