ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk Austrian temp service - 04/22/04 07:07 PM
Posted for Texas Ranger:

Here are 2 pics of a pretty weird temp service, just a block away from where I live. It supplies a crane 2 houses up the street and maybe some other site stuff.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 04-22-2004).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Austrian temp service - 04/22/04 10:06 PM
Tex'—

Does the 'pole' have fake branches on it?

If needed, can the neighborhood use the crane to get a grand piano up to the second floor?
Posted By: pauluk Re: Austrian temp service - 04/23/04 10:05 AM
So did the PoCo just run the supply across to the nearest convenient building? That's what it looks like.

Is this one of those European set-ups where the distribution cable are tacked along the front facade of the buildings, so they figured it was the easiest way?
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Austrian temp service - 04/23/04 11:50 AM
About the pole: I had a helluva good laugh when I saw that. It's actually a tree, and when most surrounding trees were cut down they chopped it off above the feeder and cut the branches.
They way the wiring runs is pretty hefty. The cable exits a basement window of the senior residence (the light yellow house the fence and garden belongs to) in PVC flex conduit, rruns along the bottom of the wall next to the sidewalk, then up to the top of the fence, tied to the iron fence with cable ties, then without conduit up the tree, across the street to the balcony railing and along 2 houses to the crane. All PoCo wiring is underground, guess that's why the cable comes out of the basement window.
BTW, the orange things attached to the cable where it crosses the street are dumpster bags...
Let me tell you I had severe problems believing just what I'd seen!
I'll take a few more pics today.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Austrian temp service - 04/23/04 10:45 PM
Oh, it's feeding from that pole across the street.... [Linked Image]

I thought power was coming to the pole from the balcony opposite. I didn't dare ask, but I figured they just opened the balcony door and ran the cable outside, tied to the railings. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Austrian temp service - 04/24/04 10:02 AM
I didn't dare ask, but I figured they just opened the balcony door and ran the cable outside, tied to the railings.
No, it's not actually _that_ bad, but by far bad enough. The crane is 2 houses to the right of the green house with the purple windows and the balcony.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Austrian temp service - 05/03/04 12:04 PM
Ok, here's some more pics of that beauty.

[Linked Image from stud4.tuwien.ac.at]

This is how the cable exits the basement where it is connected to the underground feeders.

It runs up the lightning rod, across the driveway and along the fence.

Edited twice to get pictures working. And still no go. Maybe the University server is down - I can't even acces the pictures directly.

_Now_ it should work! (at least I hope so [Linked Image])

[This message has been edited by Texas_Ranger (edited 05-04-2004).]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Austrian temp service - 05/04/04 01:15 PM
Whopee! It worked! Now on to the next pictures.

Then there's a nice drip loop... and the cable goes up a tree.

And that's the mutilated tree. Nice work with all those cable ties [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Austrian temp service - 05/04/04 01:18 PM

The yellow house with the scaffolding is where the cable goes. No crane any more, but still need temp power.

The orange box with the various extension cords coming out of the bottom is the temp panel. I assume inside there is a 300mA RCD, a set of breakers and lots of Schuko and CEE 3ph sockets
© ECN Electrical Forums