ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Favorite Music? - 01/03/04 02:43 AM
OK, what sort of music do you like?.
Now and in the past?.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Favorite Music? - 01/03/04 09:08 AM
I love popular music of the 1950s/early 60s era, be it rock'n'roll, ballads, rockabilly, or whatever.

My other main favorite is country (the older style -- I'm not so keen on what sometimes passes for country today).

I guess I have quite wide-ranging tastes and can listen to anything from Gilbert & Sullivan to Bill Haley, depending upon my mood at the time.

I can't stand modern pop. Horrible racket with no melody or tune.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 01/03/04 12:15 PM
Hey Paul,
When talking of the 60's, do you mean the Rolling Stones and the Who?.
I must say that I am a great fan of the Who and also Led Zeppelin, there is just no music around these days, that even compares on a scale like these earlier bands, back when bands were bands!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Favorite Music? - 01/03/04 04:26 PM
Trumpy, you're giving your age away [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Favorite Music? - 01/04/04 03:15 AM
Occasionally, there are a few non-homogenized playlists out there [Who/Johnny Cash/John Lee Hooker/Gillian Welch] www.kpig.com/library/
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 01/05/04 04:48 AM
Russell,
Trumpy, you're giving your age away
I'm 31, I grew up with Classic Rock Radio, mate. [Linked Image]
I've never liked Pop music and I really hate the tripe that's played on most radio stations these days, it all sounds pretty much the same.
It's got to have real instruments, or I don't bother listening to it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Favorite Music? - 01/06/04 10:00 AM
Yes, I can listen to the Rolling Stones sometimes, although I wouldn't class them as one of my favorite bands. I prefer the slightly earlier era: Chuck Berry, Guy Mitchell, Little Richard, Brenda Lee, etc.

Into the later 60s and early 1970s I tend to get much more selective.

I have to agree with Trumpy on the modern pop that pollutes the airwaves today: Absolute garbage that all sounds the same.
Posted By: sparky Re: Favorite Music? - 01/07/04 12:24 AM
I've been listening to the oldies because (don't laugh) it calms me down...
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 01/07/04 09:43 AM
Paul,
I personally like Chuck Berry andLittle Richard.
Sparky,
I've been listening to the oldies because (don't laugh) it calms me down...
Who's laughin' mate?, I know how ya feel!!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Favorite Music? - 01/07/04 09:50 AM
I'm with you guys!

Just hearing some of that modern junk from a passing car sets me on edge. Sitting down quietly at home with my oldies certainly helps me to relax. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 01/07/04 09:54 AM
Ahh yes Paul,
The ability to sit down in your own house and listen to what you like.
The great thing about personal freedom, eh?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 01/10/04 06:51 AM
There's only one modern band that I like and it's Lifehouse!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 01/10/04 09:39 AM
Oh but Paul, I have to put a word in for the Thin White Duke (David Bowie), the guy has just kept re-inventing himself over the last 40(?)years and it has always been for the better.
He's writing really good music these days, he's always kept up with, er, Fashion!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: classicsat Re: Favorite Music? - 01/14/04 09:25 PM
I primarily listen to CHR, but do aslo enjoy some 80s pop, new-wave, pung, and progressive rock/metal from the mid-late 70s into the 80s.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 01/17/04 03:54 AM
classicsat,
CHR?.
I have been listening to the Police and a few other 80's bands, but I really like the 70's more with British bands like Free and the like.
Posted By: :andy: Re: Favorite Music? - 01/17/04 08:20 PM
I guess nobody in here does listen to the music i mainly like ("nu metal" and so on), but i also like actual rock/alternative, and some older stuff i.e. simon&garfunkel, status quo, and many more.......
Posted By: classicsat Re: Favorite Music? - 01/21/04 09:21 PM
Radio format speak for Classic Hard Rock. 70s and 8os rock, just keeping out of metal type rock, and pop/new wave/punk stuff.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Favorite Music? - 01/23/04 06:27 AM
My Wife and I listen to most everything!
Range = Classical to Rythym & Blues (refering to the older blues, not today's "R&B"). Range excludes "Rap" based styles.

Typically we listen to music in the "Rock" based flavors - normal rock, hard rock, metal, etc.

Just FYI;
Last year we saw two cool concerts at the Arrowhead Pond (in Anaheim California).

In July (or August) of 2003, saw Fleetwood Mac. They put on a cool show, and sounded great after getting into the groove + warming up.

Best show was in November. November 18th to be exact.
Simon and Garfunkel's reunion show was absolutely fantastic!
Man, I am so glad we went to that gig!

On November 19th, I loaned my drumkit to my Daughter for a Recording Session that was coming up the following weekend.
Her and I were playing drums to Metal and Punk.

December 21st (my Birthday), a good friend of ours + rythym guitarist of my old Band, gave me the Rolling Stones' 4-Disc DVD set that recently came out.
Been watching/listening to it here and there - especially plays in the background while doing computer work.

Is this a "Well-Rounded Range"? [Linked Image]

Scott35
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 01/23/04 11:40 AM
Scott35,
Anyone that knows me well, knows that I am a Huge! Def Leppard fan.
I have all the albums(Vinyl,CD's and tapes) and DVD's and Videos ever made from this band.
(Yes, it's the one with the one-armed drummer, Rick Allen, but he still had 2 arms when I got hooked on it!). [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-23-2004).]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Favorite Music? - 01/26/04 07:58 AM
Mike;

I too like Def Leppard!

They hit big here in 1983, when (I think) the "Pyromania" album was launched for U.S. sales.

Seems to me that they became popular here with the 2nd album released in U.S., in the 1983-84 time period, however they were kind of "Underground" with the "Noble Few", when their first album debut in 1981-82 era.

This was - of course, "Pre-Accident" era (before the crash and corresponding loss of limb).

Any of this sound correct?

I was in High School (11th Grade to be exact) when I first heard of Def Leppard. That was 1981.
What really was interresting was how old they were at the time!
For those unaware of this, put it this way:
Most of the Band's Members could not legally go into Bars, or drink Alcoholic Beverages at the time!
Now that's interresting!

The people I hung around with were - fortunately - into newer hard rock styles and underground stuff.
In the early '80's, there was too much Disco influenced Pop spanning the Frequency Modulated Broadcasts via Commercial VHF Radio - along with influencing the typical Clubs and Music Merchants.

We were into Hard Rock styles.

Mid '80's brought the "Glam" era - which gave us something to complain about endlessly! When Ozzy jumped on the "Glam-Wagon", that was too much!
This was also the era when Iron Madien became popular - and was termed "Heavy Metal"!
(no way they even came close to Metal - but then again, there was Quiet Riot being classified "Heavy Metal", so I guess between the two Bands, Maiden would fit the category of Metal the best...JMHO).

In the mid '80's (1984-1986) I was introduced to various hard edged styles of music - and one Band comes to mind which really stuck out in this time period:
Metallica!

The Metal/Punk style was our obsession!
Albums like "Ride The Lightning" and "Kill 'Em All" were played over and over and over!
Stylii replacements were very common on Phonos, and redundant copies of Cassette Tapes were made, so the worn out one could be tossed out after 1,000 plays!
Slight adjustments to the Azimuth of the Play-back head were needed periodically [Linked Image]

"Master Of Puppets" came out around 1987; a good album but too commercial. Same became of their next two albums, then they broke up.

I really miss the "Good 'Ol Days" of Music + Jammin' at a moment's notice!
("Jammin'" is to get a bunch of Musicians together, and play anything - just for fun, not for practice).

By the time I graduated High School in 1983, it looked like our favorite Music Styles would forever be underground - and thought of as "Crazy Music", or the sillyness that someone might dabble into the black arts from mind alterations embedded in the lyrics, would continue!
We just liked hard edged - aggressive and progressive styles - lyrics were not anything more than words!
(but we did make plenty of jokes about the stereotypes we were viewed as!).

Ahhh, love to reminisce! Could never forsee what's happening today, back in the '80's!
Here I am - 39 Years old, looking back at the stuff;
remembering how everything was a "Fun - Struugle",
studying Theories of Electricity and Music,
doing crazy things with crazy people,
and never-ever thinking that it would result in something valuable.

Where did the time go?!

So glad to be part of the past; and the present too!

Scott35

p.s. what else do you like? any of the stuff I listed?
Posted By: james S Re: Favorite Music? - 01/26/04 01:38 PM
my fav artist of all time is a woman from america (Washington) by the name of eva cassidy, sadly eva lost her life to cancer at the age of 33 but remains as having the most beautiful voice i have heard. Eva covered songs like Over the rainbow,Autumn leaves,time after time,songbird,field of gold,Tennessee Waltz and many more supurb classics!!!! best album songbird (much recommended).

With playing guitar i have a lot of dire straits,mark knopfler,chet atkins,james taylor, eric clapton and who i think is ONE of the best acoustic guitar players in the world tommy emmanuel pure and utter class!!!!!

country music is also a fav :john denver,george jones, jerry reed and artists like that.

beach boys,joe cocker,simon and garfunkel. lionel richie,roy orbison just to mention a few of the best!!!!!

not a fan of dance ,jazz or modern pop idol boy bands.but i must say i have 2 dido albums which are very good! (sorry another recommendation)

classical music is very relaxing but must not include the harpsichord i dislike that instument as much as insulation tape in the winter!!!!!!!!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Favorite Music? - 01/26/04 05:19 PM
Anybody else in my neck of the woods see the program that was on BBC2 last Wednesday night? -- Lost Highway: The Story of Country Music.

There were some great old clips of Hank Williams, Ernest Tubbs, and other classic country singers, and a good look at how the roots of country, honky-tonk etc. gradually fused to become the "Nashville sound."
Posted By: james S Re: Favorite Music? - 01/26/04 06:12 PM
did not see that program but have seen a concert on the performance channel i think it was called the highway men with chris christoferson, willie nelson,waylon jennings,johny cash and couple more of country's all time best if you have not seen it lookout for it will be on again!!
wish i would have seen the program on bbc 2 though sounds like it was a good show!!!!

ps paul uk sorry for not getting back to you about the program on uk distribution networks, problems with my old computer [Linked Image]
did not get to see the program any way.

[This message has been edited by james S (edited 01-26-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 01/31/04 02:38 AM
Scott35,
Yeah man, I hear ya about Def Leppard, mate!. [Linked Image]
Thanks for your cool post!.
The thing that saved Def Leppard to a certain extent in the US, was MTV.
This was still in it's infancy at the time, but this was what exposed lots of American youth to thier music.
BTW, Scott, Def Leppard had two albums released before Pyromania was released.
Thier first was On Through the Night and the second was High'n'Dry, these albums in my opinion are thier best work and well worth a listen!. [Linked Image]
Also about thier young ages at the time, apparently, thier parent had to sign thier Record Contracts, because they were so young
(Rick Allen was only 15 and was still at school).
Scott,
Bands like Def Leppard, Iron Maiden et al,
were branded "New Wave", coming from the term "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" tag that the meeja gave these bands, as opposed to the "New Romantics",(Duran-Duran,Spandau Ballet), yet another media-coined phrase.
I really miss the "Good 'Ol Days" of Music + Jammin' at a moment's notice!
("Jammin'" is to get a bunch of Musicians together, and play anything - just for fun, not for practice).
I still have the odd Jam session with our band of local musicians, as a Bass player/Drummer, there is plenty of opportunity to do this, although just getting there is a problem with work/Fire service commitments!. [Linked Image]
I can pretty much play anything Drum-wise, I love odd Time Signature stuff, but Bass-wise I had to take a course in Popping and Slapping, just to keep up with the newer music.
I do the odd fill-in as a Bassist for Bands that are short of one.
I also teach Bass and Drums, I hate the lime-light, I would sooner be working to put a good foundation down for the rest of the band, to work with. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Favorite Music? - 02/02/04 09:12 PM
Did I hear somebody say Iron Maiden? I liked them so much I got the tattoo!!

[Linked Image]

I was always into the heavy stuff, with Slayer being my favorite. I'm actually listening to Iron Maiden right now, as a matter of fact!
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Favorite Music? - 02/05/04 02:17 AM
Mike (Trumpy);

I forgot all about On through the Night and High & Dry!!! [Linked Image]
Whaddaheckizup...!
High & Dry was the album I should have been mentioning!

As to Jammin' it's been awhile since the last real good session. Really miss 'em.
Jamming with my Daughter was cool, and we both wanted to open up and jam (call every Guitarist, Bassist, Keyboardist, etc. and have them come over with their equipment).
That was the closest for a long-long time!

Man, I gotta get back into music!

Ryan;

That's is so cool! (the "Maiden" stuff).
Really is nice to know so many others here are into the same music styles - and for an extra added bonus, many musicians here too!

Scott35
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Favorite Music? - 02/22/06 11:56 PM
Bump!!!

That feels good.

My favorite music tunes are:
Born to be alive, Patrick Hernandez.
THE THE, uncertain smile, perfect, etc.
KRAFTWERK, radioactivity
Jean Michelle Jarre, oxygene, magnetic fields, etc.
Air, Pink Flloyd, U2, Rolling Stones, Queen, Chemical brothers, and new wave type music like techno. But there is nothing wrong with the olderclassics from pre 70's too. So I can say I'm pretty universal with most types of music.
I enjoy my old reel to reel tapes, Cheers Ray
Posted By: classicsat Re: Favorite Music? - 02/23/06 11:02 PM
Lately I've been into some 70s/80s new wave, and a bit of 90s "alternative".
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 02/24/06 05:57 AM
Where on God's earth did you find this thread Ray?. [Linked Image]
I only have one complaint at this end of the week, and it's that the young Apprentice at work keeps changing the station on my truck radio.
It wouldn't normally be a problem, but you can only listen to so much (dare I even say it) "Easy Listening" music.
That boy must have led a pretty sheltered life before he came to work here.
We'll have that beaten out of him before the 4 years are up. [Linked Image]
Posted By: kiwi Re: Favorite Music? - 02/26/06 08:50 AM
Trumpy if your apprentice is touching the radio in your vehicle then you need to issue a "Verbal Warning" ( Politically correct term for earbashing!) [Linked Image]

Also if you like Led Zep, Def Leppard and other such guitar bands and you're looking for some modern equivalents then you'll probably like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Audio-Slave, Foo-Fighters, and theres heaps of other "real instrument bands" going at the moment.

I myself like everything from Jazz to Metal, but at the moment I'm listening to heaps of New Zealand reggae bands. They're excellent.

Good thread Trumpy. Music is electrically relevant and as we can see by the previous posts most sparkies are interested in it.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Favorite Music? - 02/26/06 02:47 PM
Music is electrically relevant

Of course! Now, where did I put my old 45 of "High Voltage" by Johnny & The Hurricanes? [Linked Image]
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Favorite Music? - 02/27/06 09:49 AM
Mike

Just by reading some of the older ECN threads, I'm a bit of a reel to reel tape recorder fan and thought while listening to the Simple Minds, on reel to reel of course. I bump it up, we have a lot of new members, who may listen to interesting types of music.
[Linked Image]
Cheers Ray
Posted By: ianh Re: Favorite Music? - 02/27/06 07:16 PM
The album of the moment has to be The Understanding by Royksopp - sounds like most of you old guys wouldn't enjoy it too much though [Linked Image]

When I'm working, I like listening to Norah Jones and Sarah McLachlan - nothing too quick! When I'm packing up and heading for the van and off home then we need something a bit more up-tempo like Mylo, Plump DJs, Deep Dish or Royksopp.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Favorite Music? - 02/27/06 11:32 PM
In my travels, I aquired a taste for the unusual.....so I often listen to Radio France while on the computer. Radio Israel also has some interesting music stations.
www.rfimusique,com
www.kolisrael.com

Deutch Welle, "Radio Germany, isn't bad either.

Anyone else have a web radio program worth listening to? One does get tired of the usual Top 40 playlist all the time!
Posted By: classicsat Re: Favorite Music? - 02/27/06 11:57 PM
Not particularily "web", but I do get some FM stations with music programmes, on satellite; edge.ca and q107.com .

The Pandora Music Project is swell.

I listen to Live365 now and again.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 02/28/06 07:34 AM
Kiwi,
I've been listening to Audioslave, Pearl Jam and a few others for ages.
As you say, music made with REAL instruments and a voice is a rarity these days.
I like my Blues though, Gary Moore and the late
Bo Diddley, rank high on my list.
Just have one listen to Gary Moore's "Story Of The Blues", LISTEN to the guitar solo and tell me that that doesn't say something to you.
Posted By: SimonUK Re: Favorite Music? - 02/28/06 09:42 PM
Scott35, Mike and Rodalco. You 3 seem to pretty much sum up my taste in music.

nobodies mentioned the likes of Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, ACDC and the likes yet.

Rodalco, Patrick Hernandez Born to be alive was a must for just about every DJ from about 76 when it was released on. Some other disco sounds from that era are Sylvester, Hamilton Bohannon, Fern Kinney, Roni Griffith, Jimmy Bo Horne, Fantastique etc etc.

Also love folk music, especially the Corries.

Cant stand rap. seems pretty pointless and depressing to me.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Favorite Music? - 03/01/06 07:39 AM
Good news for the deaf.
Snoop Dogg just cut a new album.

Alan
Posted By: trollog Re: Favorite Music? - 03/02/06 05:18 AM
>>I have to put a word in for the Thin White Duke (David Bowie), the guy has just kept re-inventing himself over the last 40(?)years and it has always been for the better.<<

Err, how bout that phase where he was in Berlin in the early 70's.. I like David Bowie, but have you ever heard the german language version of "Heroes" that he did? *shudder* The word caterwauling comes to mind.. or perhaps the shrieking of cats [Linked Image]
Posted By: kiwi Re: Favorite Music? - 03/02/06 09:10 AM
Trumpy, Gary Moore is my one of my favourite guitarists. His solos on "Still Got The Blues" are incredible. I like Phil Lynott(Thin Lizzy) too.
Posted By: yaktx Re: Favorite Music? - 03/03/06 05:21 AM
I like many different kinds of music, but I'll have to say, one thing I don't like is "dueling jobsite radios". If the first guy shows up and plugs in his radio, the next guy has to crank his up, tuned to a different station, and so on.

Pretty soon you have four or more dueling radios:

Classic rock, a radio format that I would describe as "proudly repeating the same 50-song playlist 24/7 since 1973" (some great tracks, mind you, but I get tired of the repetition)

Country (and yes I would agree that most of the modern stuff is garbage, although the country stations around here occasionally play the good stuff). This is Texas, so people do know the good stuff.

Modern pop(?) which at times vaguely resembles R&B and which often features lots of ululating.

Tejano. I really like Tejano, a style of music that evolved over the last century or so in Texas, when Mexican musicians mingled with Czechs and Germans in small Texas towns, adopting both their accordions and their polka rhythms.

But in isolation, please! I think I'd rather listen to saws and compressors than 4 radio stations at the same time!
Posted By: kiwi Re: Favorite Music? - 03/03/06 08:18 AM
Yeah Yaktx, 2 different radio stations going at once is one of my pet hates. That can drive you nuts.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 03/03/06 11:37 AM
Mr Kiwi,
you're looking for some modern equivalents then you'll probably like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Audio-Slave, Foo-Fighters, and theres heaps of other "real instrument bands" going at the moment.
Yeah, I like the Foo-Fighters music videos.
Audioslave just make good music, Pearl Jam are still at the top for a reason.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 03/03/06 11:42 AM
Did you know that Les Paul, the inventor of the "Electric" Guitar was a self-taught Electrical Engineer?.
He must have known something to know Inductance in a conductor.
Hence the pick-up. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Uppeydog Re: Favorite Music? - 03/11/06 07:42 PM
You are Young & life is long & there is time to kill today..& then one day you find Ten years have got behind you..
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
(Time)
"Yep your right chaps" Ive got the Pink Floyd bug (2nd time around).
None "plastic" music way ahead of it's TIME in in the 60's & 70's.
People regarded it as "Druggie music". Thirty Years on People are just realising they were a Band who worked really hard to give us a new sound, slower in tempo than Hendrix & Led Zep.etc. But with True to life Lyrics. With perfectly timed instrumentation, not forgetting they never had the technical equipment that we have today.

Into the distance, a ribbon of black...
Stretched to the point of no turning back.

(learning to Fly)

Have a listen Guys Great after Stressfull day!

Shine on you Crazy Diamonds!
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Favorite Music? - 03/11/06 08:13 PM
Father McKenzie,
wiping the dirt
from his
hands as he
walks from the grave.
No one was saved.
All the lonely people,
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

That simple piece has been floating around in my head for nearly 40 years.

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 03-11-2006).]
Posted By: Uppeydog Re: Favorite Music? - 03/11/06 09:38 PM
Thanks Al Good old "F4" ...That's it in my nut now...Merci!

I got lots of good stories to tell but I'm not a fast typer, & I'm working 7 D/wk so I use Pink Floyd Lyrics to remind me of passed friends & incidents...
Eg an old (crazy) mate of mine decided to push a contactor in for a Sump pump as the coil had burnt out...I just walked away to go up stairs to see if the pump was pumping out a grease trap...& Bang! his driver had slipped & shorted out the main Dist. Panel blew him up the stairs onto me! He was in shock for a fortnight...I had to cope with 100's of Japenese tourists going mental!

The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'till I'm sane
You lock the door
Throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me.
And if the cloud bursts thunder in your ear
You shout & no one seems to hear
And if the band your in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the Dark Side OF The Moon.

"I can't think of anything to say except...
I think it's marvellous! Ha Ha Ha!"
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 03/12/06 02:01 PM
I looked up at the calender and my sister reminded me during a phone call that it was 20 years since the big flood in South Canterbury.
At 16 I pulled a 5 year old out of the water and nearly managed to drown myself.
2 weeks later the first CD Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms was released.
My favourite CD EVER!!!.
Posted By: Uppeydog Re: Favorite Music? - 03/12/06 08:46 PM
Good one Trump!
Had to pull my 2year old son from a "Rip"
on Cottesloe Beach WA. Wife was playing with the boys, I was coming back from the shop with Ice-creams. The wife was running for a ball, saw his Cap going out to sea, then I noticed he wasn't on the beach...he was below the cap!!!....I'll go back for the ice-creams one day!!!
He's now doing a life saving course at Faslane Naval base up here in Scotland.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Favorite Music? - 05/11/06 08:09 AM
Mike, My wife and I will be enjoying The Simple Minds live in Aotea centre in Auckland next wednesday the 17 th May.

Certainly looking (listening) forward to it.

Cheers Ray
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 05/11/06 10:17 AM
Ray,
I wish I could be there!.
Out of all the bands I've ever wanted to see live, is Simple Minds.
I went to a Bass Clinic in Christchurch in the late 1980's with thier ex-bassist John Giblin, that was a real experience, there weren't a lot of people there, of course not a lot of people here knew of a fretless bass guitar.
His advice was gold!.
If you want to hear a fretless bass in action listen to the song "Belfast Child" from Simple
Minds.
Nice to see they are still going.
Thanks for the heads up Ray!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: kiwi Re: Favorite Music? - 05/11/06 10:46 AM
Hey Trumpy I didn't know you played bass !

Simple minds were ( are ) great. They're from the same city in Scotland where I was born.

Some of my favourite fretless bass players are Flea from the Chilli Peppers and the guy in Pearl Jam. A lot of good jazz players play fretless as well.

"Waterfront" by Simple Minds was ground breaking stuff in bass guitar sound. Do you know what guitar and amp was used ?
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Favorite Music? - 05/13/06 09:49 AM
Waterfront I'm lost for words here, it's absolute heaven,
especially the intro.
hmmm
Collected the tickets today in person from Ticketek,
just in case,
Took my 4 year old son for a train ride inro the city.

Raymond
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 05/13/06 10:25 AM
Keir,
I had no idea you were actaully born in Scotland.
Some of my favourite fretless bass players are Flea from the Chilli Peppers and the guy in Pearl Jam.
Umm, that would be Geoff Ament from Pearl Jam, he plays a 4-string and a 5-string fretless.
An intonation nightmare.
"Waterfront" by Simple Minds was ground breaking stuff in bass guitar sound. Do you know what guitar and amp was used?
The guitar was a Warwick Thru neck model.
The amp matters nothing, because the same Bass was used on Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach" the same year.
Recording gear gives you EQ to the Bass sound.
Plus or minus 20dB cut or boost, from a mixing desk can seriously change your bass sound.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 05/13/06 10:35 AM
If I wanted to "jam" with some-one, it would be Mark Knopfler.
That guy rules!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: kiwi Re: Favorite Music? - 05/15/06 12:13 PM
A Warwick thru-neck ! ? Where are they made ?
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Favorite Music? - 05/17/06 07:34 PM
The Simple Minds concert last night in Aotea centre was absolutely awesome

Jim kerr and his crew were in top form and provided us with some great earbanging quality new wave, hardrock music.

Also the lightshow was excellent! so was the sound system.

My ears are still in recovery mode, (bzzzzzz)
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] Ray (RODALCO)
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Favorite Music? - 05/18/06 05:09 AM
Kiwi,
A Warwick thru-neck ! ? Where are they made?
Like a lot of good instruments, they are made in the UK.
Stand by for a web-site. [Linked Image]
Posted By: kiwi Re: Favorite Music? - 05/22/06 10:25 AM
Rodalco the Simple Minds concert must have been awesome. Is that only the second time they've played here ? The first time was Sweetwaters South in 84 wasn't it ?
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Favorite Music? - 05/23/06 08:34 AM
Jim Kerr mentioned on stage that the last time was 17 years ago in Auckland so that was around 1989.

Somehow I missed that Simple Minds concert although I went to THE THEin 1989 in the Logan Campbell centre which was excellent too.

I spray painted the THE THE logo's on my transformer paint grey XY Falcon which lasted till 2004 when I sold it to a restorer.
© ECN Electrical Forums