ECN Forum
Posted By: C-H Improved RCDs? - 09/06/03 03:40 PM
I found a manufacturer of RCD components. Not RCD's but the things that are inside them.

I thought some things were interesting, so I'll just throw a link in:
http://www.westernautomation.com/pages/generics.htm

One button RCD --> will that lead to a one button RCBO?

ASIC based RCD --> next step is a full microprocessor --> arc fault detection should be easy to incorporate
Posted By: Dapo Re: Improved RCDs? - 09/06/03 10:37 PM
Arc fault protection isn't something that has travelled to our part of the world yet.
Do you have problems with Nuisance tripping?
I was thinking of when using appliances like drills with brushes. I am probably showing my ignorance of the devices by asking that question

By the way the rcd information on the link you gave was an excellent read thank you.
Posted By: djk Re: Improved RCDs? - 09/07/03 12:03 AM
Never really had any problems with false tripping with RCDs. The only time it ever happens is when the iron or the kettle has had water inside the case. Quite glad of it tripping in such a situation!
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Improved RCDs? - 09/07/03 10:11 AM
Last time I remember the RCD tripping was when I tried an iron we got to sell at the flea market. It was misassembled after replacing the cord, so it had a dead hot-neutral-ground short. Oh yeah, and when the mason (butt drunk) shorted our infrared heater in the bathroom (he "used" the chain of the pull switch to short hot and ground, even twice!) the breaker, RCD and 20A main fuse blew. **** happens, according to Murphy's law we only had 25A spare fuses, no 20A, so we had to go out and buy some. Now we got a pack of replacement fuses atop of each meter for such cases.

{ Minor edit; let's keep it PG-rated please! -Paul }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-07-2003).]
Posted By: Dapo Re: Improved RCDs? - 09/07/03 11:13 AM
The tripping I intended to ask about was with arc fault interupters. I assume these devices trip as their name implies when there is an arcing type of fault.
Thats why I was curious as to whether universal motors would trip them?

I went off the beaten track a little.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Improved RCDs? - 09/07/03 12:12 PM
Interesting link. The Demystifying the RCD section will provide some interesting background for those of you who are not familiar with the terminology and approach in this part of the world (although there are one or two statements there I would query).

The RCBO (combined over-current and ground-fault protection, and thus the same in principle as the individual branch GFCIs used in America) would be an ideal device in many applications. It's unfortunate that it's unlikely to be more widely used (at elast in domestic work) until the price comes down to a more reasonable level.

Graham,
The AFCI has not made an appearance here yet either. There has been much discussion over its pros and cons on ECN in the last couple of years. If you do a search on "AFCI" inb the general discussion area, you'll see many threads.

Here's one manufacturer's information: http://www.zlan.com/prod01.htm

(Follow the links at the bottom of each page.)
Posted By: C-H Re: Improved RCDs? - 09/07/03 02:36 PM
Zlan is an engineering company selling the technology, not the device itself. They have every interest in promoting it, since they hold a couple of patents.
© ECN Electrical Forums